Drew’s Decrees: You should dance more often

College is an anxious place for students. I walk around campus constantly worrying about what everyone thinks about my every move. Talking to my friends and fellow students, they agree that college is a stressful time.

The solution to the induced stress and social anxiety, dear reader, is to simply bust a move like nobody's watching.

Far too often, I have seen many social functions around Ohio University be dominated by social anxiety and the stress of college. A large crowd of people can make one nervous and unsure, and many have initial impressions that they hold on to and let ruin the night. That results in disinterested people, sober or not, being left without a clue as to what to do at the function.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not a good dancer; I should most likely be locked in a small closet where no dancing could occur. But when Mariah Carey’s “Fantasy” started blaring at a little shindig my friend hosted, I became a new person. I forgot about the weight of pressure to do well in college and the curious onlookers and just had fun.

Was I secretly recorded and shown later? Yes, absolutely, I was. But looking back, even if it seems a bit silly, I can proudly acknowledge I was just doing what I wanted to do, which is not something many can say as they stood around bored or anxious.

Even if you're not feeling the music, haven't had the best night or are just worried about what others might think, you should take the leap. Studies have even shown psychologists that the serotonin boost that occurs from dancing can be very helpful for the brain.

The best part is you don't have to do elaborate moves that draw attention or try the latest TikTok that is trending right now.

Dance is all about self-expression, so do what comes naturally. I look back fondly on the memory of seeing my grandpa go absolutely wild by twirling his index finger in a circle to a beat. It wasn’t flashy or extravagant dancing, but he did it with a smile on his face and that's what is important.

All I am trying to chip away at is that college is stressful for a lot of students. So maybe take my advice and bust a move once in and while to banish that stress away and forget about what people think.

Drew Haughn is a freshman studying communications at Ohio University. Please note that the opinions expressed in this column do not necessarily reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Drew about his article? Tweet him @haughn_drew24.