Q&A with Daniel Pittman ahead of FAFSA deadline

The 2024-2025 Free Application for Federal Student Aid is now open. The FAFSA is used to determine a student’s need for financial aid from the government and universities. 

The Post talked to University Spokesperson Daniel Pittman over email about what students and parents should know ahead of Ohio University’s priority deadline March 1.

The Post: What exactly does the university’s “at least March 1” priority deadline mean?

Pittman: The FAFSA must be completed annually; doing so each year by the first priority date ensures one’s fullest consideration for grants, scholarships, Federal Work-Study funds and loans. Students enrolling in Summer 2024, Fall 2024 or Spring 2025 are encouraged to complete the FAFSA right away if they have not yet done so.

This year, OHIO extended its first-priority receipt date for the 2024-2025 FAFSA to at least March 1 due to the impacts related to the federal government’s FAFSA Simplification Act, which represented a significant overhaul of the processes and systems used to determine a student's financial aid eligibility, including the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form for 2024-2025. OHIO is closely monitoring the FAFSA situation and will communicate any further extensions of this deadline at ohio.edu/fafsa.

TP: What are the most important things for students to know about filing the FAFSA, especially in regard to OU’s priority deadline?

Pittman: There are two key things. One: Timing is key. Students enrolling in Summer 2024, Fall 2024 or Spring 2025 are encouraged to complete the FAFSA by March 1 to ensure they’re able to receive the fullest consideration for grants, scholarships, Federal Work-Study funds and loans. 

Two: OHIO’s Financial Aid Office is here to help. Students and parents are encouraged to reach out to the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships for support and assistance related to the FAFSA or any financial aid-related questions. They can be reached at 740-593-4141 or financial.aid@ohio.edu or by visiting their office at 020 Chubb Hall, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Students can also contact the office to schedule an in-person appointment or schedule a virtual appointment with their assigned financial aid adviser. Additionally, in the spirit of Bobcats taking care of Bobcats, students who are completing their FAFSA form are encouraged to remind all their friends and roommates to do the same and remind them that OHIO’s Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships team—one of the most expert and experienced teams of aid professionals in the country—also stands ready to assist them.

TP: With the changes to the FAFSA and OU’s priority deadline, when can incoming and returning students expect to receive details about their financial aid package?

Pittman: The United States Department of Education has indicated that institutions across the country, including OHIO, will begin to receive FAFSA data in batches during the first half of March, and additional batches will follow thereafter. Based on the United States Department of Education’s current FAFSA timeline, OHIO currently anticipates notifying both admitted first-year students and current OHIO students of their financial aid offers in April. It is important to note that OHIO’s overall financial aid distribution timeline is largely dependent upon the Department of Education’s distribution of its 2024-25 FAFSA applicant information. We will continue to share the latest timeline updates as needed via https://www.ohio.edu/financial-aid/applications-deadlines.

We realize that this year’s adjusted timelines could potentially create questions and confusion for individuals and/or families who are completing, or have already completed, the Department of Education’s streamlined FAFSA form; students and parents are encouraged to reach out to the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships for support and assistance related to the FAFSA or any financial aid-related questions.

et029322@ohio.edu