Bowlby’s Breakdown: Matt Rempe is the perfect jolt in the arm for the Rangers

NHL debuts have become pretty standardized. Solo rookie lap in warmups, first shift acknowledgment and then play for a few minutes in what is likely a game with minimal impact. Matt Rempe took the polar opposite approach to his NHL debut when he broke into the league on Feb. 18 at the 2024 Stadium Series against the New York Islanders.

First and foremost Rempe, a 6-foot-7-inch forward from Calgary, became the first player in history to make his debut in an outdoor game. To put that in context, there have now been a total of 41 NHL outdoor games and none of them featured a league debut until 2024.

The Rangers scored the game’s opening goal just 1:28 into the game. On the ensuing faceoff, Rempe, who is just 21 years old, made his name known by dropping the gloves with Islanders 34-year-old veteran Matt Martin. 

According to Hockey Fights, Martin has been in 106 fights over his 15-year NHL career. Martin is known well around the league for being a tough customer and won’t shy away from anyone. In 13 seasons with New York, he has racked up the sixth most penalty minutes in Islanders history. 

Yet, Rempe went right at him 90 seconds into his NHL debut on national television. It provided a spark for the Rangers, one that took some time to kick in but ultimately led to them beating the Islanders in overtime.

After the fiasco that his debut was, Rempe managed to go with 5:08 of ice time and not take a single penalty in his first showing at Madison Square Garden. But, he quickly made up for it the very next game against New Jersey when he played for a whopping 13 seconds and received a game misconduct totaling 17 penalty minutes. 

Rempe’s recent two games have been the beginnings of his scoring career. His first NHL goal against Philadelphia and then his first assists against Columbus on back-to-back nights. 

He also got into fights in both of those games. He took on another known fighter, Nicholas Deslauriers, in the Flyers game and then battled Matthieu Olivier Sunday night. 

Through five NHL games, Rempe has played a total of 20 minutes and one second, 32 penalty minutes (fifth on the Rangers), one goal, one assist and a bunch of heads turned. 

Rempe brings something important to the Rangers whether or not he is going to continue to remain a consistent part of their lineup. He brings grit and toughness, something a star-studded New York group needs to have heading into the postseason. 

This is not to say that the Rangers are a soft team or one that was struggling, but they did not have anyone willing to drop the gloves at any time and provide a spark for the team. 

Rempe also serves as a reminder for his team that you cannot win in the postseason without that fiery spirit. Sure, New York is loaded with talented pieces who have shown they can produce, but in each of the past three seasons, they have not gotten over the hump in the playoffs. 

New York has dealt with significant injuries to Filip Chytil and Blake Wheeler this season which opened the door for Rempe and linemate Adam Edstrom to make appearances in the Rangers' recent lineups.

Both have provided the toughness factor all teams are looking for this time of year, but they have also added a decent amount of offensive output considering their time on the ice.

The young duo of Rempe and Edstrom have done their part and taken advantage of a hole in the Rangers roster. Now, the club will have to decide before the March 8 trade deadline if they have been inspired with enough confidence to roll with the pair into the playoffs. 

Andrew Bowlby is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of  The Post. Want to share your thoughts about the column? Let Andrew know by tweeting him @andrew_bowlby.