Ethan’s Excerpts: Stop acting like musicians are your friends

With the rise of TikTok in recent years and the subsequent popularity of the musicians and bands whose songs go viral, new and more devoted fan bases of these artists have emerged. The platform has given audiences a deeper look into the lives of musicians, and fans are eager to take a peek. However, this is not necessarily a good thing.

While fans may think that they know their favorite musicians so much better and feel they have a deeper connection to them, the musicians have no actual relationships with the fans. This is what’s known as a parasocial relationship.

Some of those artists had a well defined career before the platform, such as Bad Omens, Harry Styles and Sleep Token. Others gained their popularity almost solely because of TikTok Olivia Rodrigo, Måneskin and Lil Nas X, just to name a few.

In December, Bad Omens singer Noah Sebastian deleted all his social media accounts in response to a high amount of unwanted fan attention. Earlier this month, drummer Nick Folio followed suit, presumably for the same reasons as Sebastian.

In a similar but more extreme vein, the supposed birth certificates and identities of the members of metal band Sleep Token were leaked earlier this month. Since the band’s inception in 2016, the members have remained anonymous. 

The band wiped its social media accounts around the same time, leading to speculation that the leaks marked the end of Sleep Token. However, the band later announced a UK tour, leading to the conclusion the wiped accounts were for publicity.

The history of interest in celebrities in the public eye stems back to the late 1800s as more people had access to different types of entertainment due to industrial advancements. As media became more widespread, celebrities and musicians began to be exposed to more people.

Parasocial relationships are nothing new, the term having been coined in 1956 consider the obsessive fans of Elvis Presley and the Beatles.

But now in the age of social media, fans have more access to the personal lives of those who they idolize. Essentially everyone has a parasocial relationship with at least one celebrity or musician.

I’m not afraid to admit even I have parasocial relationships with musicians who I look up to. The key difference is the intent.

Yes, I will go to see a band that I love every chance I can, yes I may cry during certain songs. But I do it for my enjoyment, and nothing else. You can still be a diehard fan and not leak the birth certificate or find old family photos of your favorite musician. 

They are not your friends. These artists do not know you, you don’t truly know them. Just because they may put themselves out on social media in a way that makes you think you know everything about them, you don’t. These musicians and celebrities are people too, just like you and I. They have their own emotions and are not just a vessel for your favorite music. 

Putting their personal information for others to find, all because you think you are friends, is arguably more damaging to them than if it happened to the average person due to their platform and reach.

The key takeaway from the recent dramas that come from parasocial relationships is to just see artists as people too. It doesn’t matter that you see them on TikTok or Instagram: they are real people with real emotions.

Ethan Herx is a freshman studying media arts production at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to share your thoughts? Let Ethan know by emailing or tweeting them at eh481422@ohio.edu or @ethanherx.