Sophomore Skipp Miller (19) goes to throw the ball at the game against Toledo at Ohio Softball Stadium on April 25, 2023, in Athens, Ohio.

Softball: Ohio loses trio of tight games at Beach Chicken Brawl to go 1-3

Over the second portion of its non-conference schedule, Ohio has failed to continue its initial hot start to the season. Since winning nine of ten games over a two-week span, Ohio has limped to a 2-6 record in the following weeks. While it is important to note the quality of competition over this span, Ohio certainly would have hoped to have won more of these games. During the Beach Chicken Brawl, Ohio showcased glimpses of the successful team from earlier in the season while ultimately being generally unable to break out fully. 

Game 1 vs. Boston University: 

In its first game of the weekend in Conway, South Carolina, Ohio was set to take on one of the best mid-major programs in the country in Boston University, a team that was receiving votes when the teams faced off. Ohio got off to a strong start, scoring in the first inning after Lauren Yuhas was driven in by Shelby Westler’s RBI single. In the third, it was again Westler who brought in Tori O’Brien to double Ohio’s advantage to 2-0. 

During that time, Ohio starter Mikie Lieving kept a potent Boston offense off the board. Lieving threw a pair of scoreless frames while sidestepping singles in each inning. In the third after Ohio went up by two, Lieving conceded her first runs.

Boston scored its first run when an error put a runner on first. That runner would later score on an RBI single by Caitlin Coker. On that play, Ohio threw home, allowing Coker to move to second. That would be critical when the next batter, Lizzy Avery brought in two runs, including Coker, who served as the go-ahead run. 

Amid Ohio’s run-producing third inning, Boston opted to turn to Avery in the circle to extinguish the threat. Not only did Avery keep Ohio off the board for further damage, but she also pitched the rest of the game. Avery kept Ohio hitless in her 4.1 innings of work. Additionally, Ohio allowed another pair of runs, both aided largely by errors and lapses in the field. 

With the final score of 5-2, Ohio would be remiss if it felt it allowed a big win to slip through its fingers with a poor defensive effort holistically. The two teams were slated to play each other in Game 3, but that game was canceled due to inclement weather on Saturday morning. 

Game 2 at Coastal Carolina: 

In its two games against the host team, Coastal Carolina, Ohio found itself with chances to win both games only to fall short in agonizing fashion in each contest. The first game was played on Friday afternoon and Ohio sent its ace, Skipp Miller, to the circle. In the first two innings, each team went scoreless with only one baserunner for each team. In the bottom of the 3rd, Coastal Carolina would strike for its first runs of the game. Delaney Keith and Riley Zana hit RBI singles to give Coastal Carolina a 2-0 lead heading into the middle innings. 

To that point, Coastal Carolina pitcher Raelee Brabham was mowing down Ohio’s lineup, failing to allow a runner past first base over her first four innings of work. In the bottom of the fourth, Coastal Carolina threatened again, but a lineout with the bases loaded ended the threat and kept the score at 2-0 in favor of the home team. 

Ohio looked to capitalize on Miller escaping a jam, putting runners on the corners with two outs for pinch hitter Yasmine Logan, who struck out to end the inning. Keith would extend the lead for Coastal Carolina with a solo home run to push the score to 3-0, Coastal Carolina. Another inning without pushing any across made the run that Coastal scored in the bottom of the sixth feel like more of a nail in the coffin.

Staring down the barrel of a 4-0 deficit, Ohio got to work right away in the top of the seventh. Annalia Paoli doubled to lead off the frame and was quickly brought home on a single by Austy Miller. CiCi Keidel put two runners on and the tying run at the plate in the form of O’Brien, who singled to bring home Miller. A fielding error by the pitcher loaded the bases with no outs and Ohio was only down two runs. Emma Hoffner’s RBI groundout was productive by bringing in a third run and moving the tying run to third. Westler grounded into a fielder’s choice where O’Brien was thrown out at home. Izzie Wilson subsequently grounded out to end the game, handing Ohio its fifth loss in a row. 

Game 3 at Coastal Carolina: 

Ohio’s third game of the weekend was a rematch against Coastal Carolina. Ohio made a change at starting pitcher with Lieving taking to the circle, while Coastal Carolina sent out Nicolette Picone. Like the last game, Ohio started slow offensively, going scoreless in the first pair of innings. On the other side, Indya Smith hit an RBI double in the second for Coastal Carolina to go up 1-0 early. 

Ohio would have another three-run inning as it took its first lead in the fifth inning. A two-out RBI single for Hoffner tied the game before Austy Miller and Paoli walked to bring in runs, making it 3-1, Ohio. Now, with Skipp Miller in the game for Ohio, Coastal Carolina would get two RBI fielder’s choices to tie things in the sixth inning. 

Going into the seventh, Ohio looked a spark to avoid losing its sixth straight game. With one out, Yasmine Logan lifted a flyball to deep center field. As the neon projectile found its way over the fence, it felt as if certain pressure was released from Ohio’s entire dugout as it felt the tide shift in its favor.

Unfortunately for Ohio, Coastal Carolina was not prepared to allow Ohio to win late in the game. With two on for Coastal Carolina, Smith hit a home run to end the game in walk-off fashion. The 6-4 final was a gut-wrenching one for Ohio, as it thought it would emerge with a hard-fought victory.

Game 4 vs. George Mason: 

After a heartbreaking loss, Ohio took on George Mason to conclude the weekend. In the first inning, it felt like deja vu for Ohio as Lieving gave up a run on an RBI single by Maddy Myers. However, O’Brien and Westler again teamed up to bring home a run for Ohio with the latter driving in the former on an RBI double to tie the game at one run apiece after an inning. 

The scoring would come to a halt until the top of the fourth inning when Myers led off with a double which led to a run to put George Mason up 2-1. In the bottom of the fifth inning, Ohio surged ahead with another three-run inning. Keidel hit an RBI double to tie the game before later scoring on a wild pitch to give Ohio its first lead. Lauren Yuhas picked up an RBI on a fielder’s choice to bring home O’Brien to make it 4-2 in favor of Ohio. 

From there, Ohio would lock down the game with Miller coming in to close the game out for her second save of the season. The win for Ohio was a much-needed one that allowed it to snap its six-game losing streak and end the weekend on a high note. 

@mbgoldstein1107

mg125321@ohio.edu