Today with Trey: Brian Tyree Henry deserves “it boy” status

In the past decade, there have been countless actors who have become pop culture icons after their breakthrough roles in television and film. Timothée Chalamet, Barry Keoghan and Daniel Kaluuya are just a few names who fit this bill and have earned themselves large followings online. However, there is one consistently great performer who should be in conversations similar to those A-list actors: Brian Tyree Henry.

Henry began his acting in theater productions on and off Broadway and guest television appearances, but he broke through in television in 2016. It was then that he landed a supporting role in Donald Glover’s “Atlanta” series for FX. 

While mostly commenting on current social issues through an Afro-surrealist lens, the show also focused on the emerging music career of Henry’s character of Al, also known as “Paper Boi,” a rapper developing within Atlanta’s rap scene. Glover also starred in the series as Paper Boi’s friend and manager. LaKeith Stanfield and Zazie Beatz rounded out the main quartet as Darius and Vanessa, respectively.

Although Glover, Stanfield and Beatz managed to make “Atlanta” their own throughout the series, Henry blew me out of the water every time his character was on screen. Bottle episodes centering on Al highlight this the best, such as his Emmy-nominated performance in Season 2’s “Woods,” in which Paper Boi’s identity is explored. “Andrew Wyeth. Alfred’s World” in Season 4 offers another layer to Al, this time acting as a farewell to the character.

Henry is not only phenomenal in drama, though. The surrealist quality of the show emphasizes his comedic chops as well. Season 4’s “Crank Dat Killer” episode sees Al running from a serial killer targeting dancers who uploaded videos to Soulja Boy’s “Crank That” tune. Even in peril and fright, Al embraces a humorous charm that only Henry could pull off while playing such a layered character.

I will admit, it took me until 2022 to fully dive into the wonderful world of “Atlanta.” Yet, I am glad the industry did not hesitate to take some notice of Henry’s outstanding work in the series. 

Henry has gone on to guest star in “This is Us,” which earned him his first Emmy nod, and has worked with Steve McQueen in the underseen thriller “Widows” (2018). His continued work on Broadway has also been well received, with his role of William in the 2018 revival of “Lobby Hero” granting him a Tony Award nomination.

I can expect a high-quality performance every time Henry is in a cast. Even in more passable films like Marvel’s “Eternals” (2021) and Netflix’s “Bullet Train” (2020), he captivates me and steals every moment. His vocal portrayal of Jefferson Davis in “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” and its sequel are the most indicative of his talent, which elevates an already excellent film series.

Now with an Oscar nomination to his name for his role in “Causeway” (2022), I hope the industry continues to recognize his excellence with larger roles. He has a few upcoming roles on the horizon, most notably in Rachel Morrison’s “The Fire Inside” (2024), but all seem to be more supporting roles for the actor. When rumors of Aaron Taylor-Johnson being eyed for the role of James Bond surfaced, fans were quick to call for Henry to play Bond’s right-hand man.

Henry deserves a leading role like some of the other “it boys” of today and equally deserves to have similar fan recognition. He has the charm to become more popular among fans and has an impressive red-carpet resume to match. Henry is everything today’s generation of young adults could ever want in a celebrity.

It is not common to get an actor as consistent as Henry — casting directors and fans in online spaces just need to accept it and put him under a brighter spotlight.

Trey Barrett is a graduate student studying film at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Trey know by emailing him at tb222023@ohio.edu.