Talking Points with Taylor: The Israel-Hamas war is causing an environmental, humanitarian crisis

Much of the Gaza Strip has been demolished by incessant bombings and attacks from the Israeli military. Some experts estimate as much as half of all buildings in Gaza have been destroyed or damaged, which includes homes, hospitals, farmlands and desalination plants — Gaza’s main source of water. The war is obviously uprooting the lives of millions, but it is also wreaking havoc on an already climate-vulnerable region.

Israel and Palestine are already extremely susceptible to climate change. In Israel and surrounding areas, temperatures have risen 1.5 degrees Celsius between 1950 and 2017. Comparatively, worldwide temperatures have increased by an average of 1.1 degrees Celsius since preindustrial times. Both regions also face risks from rising sea levels, which could damage crucial infrastructure and cause further saltwater intrusion in valuable aquifers. Although both countries face major risks from climate change, Gaza already faces an environmental and humanitarian crisis from incessant Israeli military attacks.

One study estimates, “emissions from the first 60 days of the Israel-Gaza war were greater than the annual emissions of 20 individual countries and territories.” The majority of those emissions can be attributed to Israeli military attacks and importing weaponry. The study notes these figures are not comprehensive, but it is a harrowing snapshot of carbon emissions during that time frame. The study also estimates carbon costs for reconstruction following the war, which will further increase temperatures.

While aerial strikes and ground invasions pollute the air, they also contaminate the water — a resource that is already in short supply to Gazans. Prior to the war, Gaza struggled with access to clean water because of a depleted and saltwater-intruded aquifer as well as contamination from wastewater and agricultural runoff.

Now, water is being contaminated further because of damage to desalination plants and sewer treatment plants from Israeli military attacks. As a result, raw sewage is seeping into groundwater and the Mediterranean Sea, which is a resource that Palestine, Israel and surrounding countries rely on. Gazans are forced to choose between drinking unsafe water or relying on water bottles — which are in short supply — provided by other countries and organizations.

Israeli military attacks have also limited Gazans' access to food by destroying farmlands and fishing fleets. Israel has been hurting Gaza’s agriculture industry for years through a blockade that restricts exports of Gaza's agricultural products and the import of fertilizers and farming equipment. 

The combination of destroyed crops, barred access to fishing, starving livestock and limited fuel is starving Gazans. Depending on the severity of the bombing, the soil may not be able to recover quickly, depleting Gazans' access to food further.

All of these factors combined with the fact that Gazans are crowding in emergency shelters, tent camps and any viable place for shelter puts them at incredibly high risk for disease and death. This is not war, this is annihilation. If Israeli forces aren’t killing Gazans from militia attacks, they are killing Gazans with the decimation of basic human needs.

It will take great effort and billions of dollars to remediate Gaza’s infrastructure and environment after the war is over. Military conflicts are disastrous for human and ecosystem health everywhere. 

Taylor Henninger is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Taylor by emailing her at th873120@ohio.edu.