Tracking Trends: Students discuss worries about Kate Middleton

The rumors surrounding Kate Middleton started after a trip to the hospital in January for what the royal family said was planned abdominal surgery. Fans of the Princess of Wales were concerned for her health and the citizens of England hoped for her quick and easy recovery. Since then, however, Middleton has only been seen a handful of times, causing distress among her fans. The anxiety from the lack of public appearances has led to a wide variety of conspiracy theories about the Princess of Wales, ranging from her husband, Prince William, cheating on her, to her potential death. 

In addition, an image was released by the royal family which included Middleton and her three children. The photo was soon found to have been photoshopped making fans wonder why the royal family and Middleton decided to do this instead of taking a real picture. 

The last picture seen of Middleton was her walking around a farm shop in Windsor with Prince William. Some fans have gone as far as to say the video was not Middleton and the royal family is continuing to hide information about the real state of Middleton’s health. 

Emily Marlow, a senior studying communications, said she has really been following the drama revolving around Middleton. She is worried for the health of the Princess of Wales and feels as though people are quick to create conspiracy theories surrounding her. 

“I think that she’s probably not doing super hot because if she was they wouldn't be so on edge to give us information but also I think Americans have taken the route that we do with true crime and I think that is really problematic,” she said. 

Marlow thought the edited picture of Middleton was very unfortunate considering everything else going on and said that she felt it only added to the things fans would worry about. She didn't think the pictures of Middleton at the farm were real because realistically Middleton could not have been walking as she was after such an intense surgery. 

“I think eventually the royal family is going to have to give a big statement about what’s going on because I think enough people are going to push for it,” she said.

Katie McGivern, a freshman studying civil engineering, has kept up with and been eager to learn about all the theories revolving around Middleton. McGivern thinks there may be some unfaithfulness going on with Prince William. 

McGivern said the photoshopped image of Middleton with her children was an interesting choice to release to the public. 

“That was crazy,” McGivern said. “I don't know how they don't hire better people to photoshop.”

Hannah May, a senior studying environmental pre-law, said she usually does not pay much attention to everything going on with the royal family but she became very interested in what was going on with Middleton ever since her surgery in January. She said another possible theory she has seen was that Middleton is struggling with mental health issues and the royal family is trying to cover that up. 

May said she is interested to learn more about what will happen and how the story will develop. 

“I didn’t even care about the royal family until this happened because I (have) a knack for true crime and I thought it was funny so now I’m like in it,” May said. 

@gabriellecab1

gc183621@ohio.edu