Ohio baseball players celebrate their win against Kent State at Bob Wren Stadium, March 16, 2024, in Athens.

Baseball: Ohio wins two of three in weekend series against Kent State

After starting conference play by losing two games to Northern Illinois, Ohio looked to bounce back against Kent State. Ohio’s offense worked very well for the first two games, scoring 9 and 10 runs respectively. The final game of the series was the opposite of the first two games. Ohio’s offense and pitching struggled while Kent State thrived, scoring 22 runs against Ohio’s 4.

First Game:

The series opener started slowly for both teams, combining for only 2 runs until the bottom of the fourth inning, where graduate student Bryce Smith would break the 0-0 tie by scoring Cole Williams on a fielder’s choice ground ball to shortstop. Smith would score later in the inning with a single to right center by freshman Pauly Mancino. Ohio scored again in the sixth inning when freshman JR Nelson doubled into left field, scoring Nick Dolan from second base.

Junior Dillon Masters took the mound for the Bobcats to start the game. He gave up a home run to Kent State’s lead-off hitter, senior Kyle Jackson, but didn’t allow Kent State to score again until the seventh inning. Masters gave up a 2 run home run in the seventh to junior Jake Casey. Masters was pulled for junior Zach Weber after the home run.

After Kent State scored again in the top of the eighth inning, the game was tied 4-4 going into the bottom of the eighth. That wouldn’t hold for long after Ohio was able to score 5 runs in the eighth.

Senior Gideon Antle started the rally by singling to left field, scoring Nick Dolan. The next 2 runs were scored from walks. Bryce Smith ended the scoring rally with a single to right field, scoring both Jackson Cauthron and Gideon Antle.

Weber pitched a scoreless ninth inning and was credited for the win.

Second Game:

The second game of the series was the opposite of the first, with the first inning being the only inning where neither team scored a run. Kent State started the scoring with 2 home runs in the second inning. Ohio quickly answered back, scoring 3 in the bottom of the second inning.

Graduate student Tim Knapschaefer started for Ohio, making it four innings. He allowed 6 runs while striking out six players and walking three. Ohio would continue scoring after a 1 run top of the third for Kent State. After two singles by fifth-year Alex Finney and freshman Trae Cassidy, Cole Williams grounded into a double play advancing Finney to third base. AJ Rausch hit a single to left field scoring Finney. Rausch would later score on a single from Bryce Smith to centerfield.

Junior Hudson Boncal came in to pitch in the middle of the fifth inning in relief for Knapescahefer. Boncal would allow 3 runs while pitching, all coming in the eighth inning to give Kent State the lead. Boncal struck out five, walked two and allowed five hits. After falling behind Kent State in the top of the eighth inning, Ohio failed to score any runs going into the ninth inning. Junior Tyler Peck came in to close the final inning of the game and did not let Kent State get a runner on base.

In the bottom of the ninth inning, Ohio was down 1 run, looking to walk it off or send the game into extra innings. Trae Cassidy started the inning with a walk, with junior Taylor Gill coming in to pinch-run for him. After Cole Williams struck out, AJ Rausch singled to left field, moving Gill to second base. Bryce Smith tied the game, doubling to center field, scoring Gill, and moving Rausch to third base, a prime position to score the winning run. Nick Dolan was intentionally walked, meaning Pauly Mancino had the chance to end the game. Mancino hit a hard ground ball to the third baseman, who bobbled it before losing control, allowing Rausch to score and Mancino to reach first. The game ended 10-9.

Baseball…Weekend recap_3_16_2024_Kinney_Abbie_2.jpg
Ohio infielder, Nick Dolan (1), moves as the ball moves past him during a game against Kent State at Bob Wren Stadium, March 16, 2024, in Athens.

Third Game:

The final game of the series did not go the way Ohio wanted it to. Looking for the sweep, Ohio went into the game, hoping to perform like they did the first two games.

Junior Blake Gaskey started for Ohio. Gaskey allowed only 1 run through the fourth inning.

Ohio’s offense was slow all game, only scoring 4 runs. Ohio had the lead going into the fifth inning, 2-1, but in the fifth inning, things would get out of hand. Kent State would score 13 runs and was only two batters away from batting around the order twice. Ohio would use four total pitchers to stop the bleeding, but none of them could stop Kent State’s offense.

Gaskey was removed after only getting one out and would be replaced by Tyler Peck and Jack Geiser, who both could not get an out. Junior Patrick Straub came in and was able to get the final two outs of the inning.

Ohio would use a total of seven pitchers the whole game. Kent State did not stop in the fifth inning, and scored 2 runs in the sixth inning and 6 runs in the seventh inning. Ohio would only be able to score 2 more runs, both coming in the sixth inning.

The game was called after the seventh inning due to the run rule. Gaskey was credited with the loss.

@logan_sheets_