Ohio guard Jaya McClure (0) dribbles down court against Ball State in the MAC Women's Bastketball Tournament at Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in Cleveland, Ohio, Mar. 13, 2024. McClure scored six points for the Bobcats, but Ohio fell to the Cardinals 53-77.

Women’s Basketball: Ohio’s season ends in the first round of the MAC tournament against Ball State

Ohio (11-19 overall, 8-10 Mid-American Conference) fell to Ball State (28-4 overall, 16-2 Mid-American Conference) in the first round of the MAC tournament by a score of 77-53.

The Bobcats’ season ended against a Ball State team primed to win the MAC. Ohio has now lost to Ball State all three times the two teams faced off this season, and Ball State will go on to play Kent State in the second round. 

While Ohio’s time in Cleveland ended quickly, the team got out to a good start in the opening quarter, with its first 12 points coming off nothing but threes.

Monica Williams started especially fast for Ohio, hitting back-to-back threes to open up the scoring.

One of the game's biggest themes showed early with Ball State showing off its size and snagging down offensive rebounds. On an early possession, Ohio stayed strong despite two Ball State offensive rebounds; Ohio didn’t allow any scoring. 

The second quarter was dominated by Ball State from the jump, starting with its star junior guard Ally Becki knocking down an open three on one end, and MAC Defensive Player of the Year Nyla Hampton swatting away a Jaya McClure layup attempt on the other.

Ohio didn’t find much luck when it came to scoring the ball as well. The Bobcats started 1-9 from the floor in the second, opting for more looks inside at the rim compared to the shots behind the arc they took in the first quarter. 

The lack of size and rebounding from Ohio kept showing as well, with Ball State repeatedly getting to the free-throw line as Ohio had trouble guarding Ball State’s bigs without fouling. 

Ohio ultimately trailed by 18 points heading into the half and needed a spark to mount a comeback.

Thankfully for the Bobcats, Bailey Tabeling was there to provide a boost with some much-needed scoring. 

However, her points didn’t come from the three-point range like they usually do as Tabeling put the ball on the court and drove to the hoop, getting fouled twice and hitting a layup after an isolation. 

“They wouldn’t let us get many shots off so we knew we had to do something different,” said Tabeling. “(I had to) Just find the open space on the floor and try to get into there, but also for my teammates at the same time just to make sure they have a better shot to get the ball to them as well.” 

Tabeling’s spark gave way to an Ohio run that brought the lead back within 11 points, the closest the game had been since the beginning of the second quarter. 

“Today was the best quarter we played,” said Ohio head coach Bob Boldon. “To come out of the locker room and show that kind of growth and maturity.” 

The closing minutes of the third quarter were controlled by Ohio, with Jaya McClure finding space for a layup and Laylay Fantroy finishing through contact to convert an and-one. 

However, the final frame of action was once again controlled by Ball State. Similar to the second quarter, the fourth quarter for the Cardinals was utterly dominant. 

“In the fourth quarter Ball State just flat out out-played us,” said Boldon. “When that happens, you just tip your hat. It’s a little bit easier to swallow when you give your best effort, and I think that was the case tonight.”

While Ohio’s season didn’t end the way the team wanted it to, the future of the program remains bright. Boldon is an established head coach who has proved he can win with any roster, and with key players such as Tabeling, Williams, Fantroy, and McClure seemingly coming back, the future looks promising in Athens. 

@CharlieFadel

cf111322@ohio.edu