The Den is campus' newest study space, welcoming environment

Ohio University opened The Den at Boyd Hall, its newest student space, Monday evening with a ribbon-cutting ceremony.

The new space is designed for students to relax, study and make new friends. The Den is housed on the first floor of Boyd Hall. On one side of the floor is The District: On West Green, managed by Culinary Services, and on the other side lies The Den, operated by Housing and Residence Life.

The space is modernly designed with a spacious lounge. It has a printing station and three desktop computers for student and guest use, two flex offices and a River Lounge that can be utilized by other offices or university groups. There is also a conference room, The Den 160, that can fit 12 people. The Den 160 offers a whiteboard and a TV. The space also has a men’s and women’s restroom.

President Lori Stewart Gonzalez said The Den was designed from student feedback; students also chose the namethe space. She said students could choose what kind of space made them feel comfortable, and the university tried to meet those needs. 

“I hope if there are students here they're going to use The Den for some meetings,” she said. "I hope I get an invitation to some of your meetings, so I can sit and be with you and give you all my sage wisdom.”

Gonzalez said she has pride in being a Bobcat today with the newly added innovation on campus. 

Jneanne Hacker, executive director of Housing and Residence Life said the space is part of a housing master plan approved by the Board of Trustees in October to invest in residential buildings and students’ experiences. 

Hacker emphasized The Den can be utilized not only by residential students but also by off-campus and commuter students. 

Similar to the East End at Jefferson Hall on East Green and the Living Learning Center on South Green, The Den adds additional opportunities for students to build a sense of community, belonging and well-being, Hacker said.

Director for Housing Capital and Facilities Planning Chris Owens said Boyd Hall is home and The Den invites students in for that feeling.

“We were able to create this new portico to give the space identity and to make people want to look inside the bricks and check out this dynamic place,” he said. 

Gonzalez said The Den is an informal campus space that can be utilized by any student and allow a welcoming environment 

“A space like this will allow you to come in and be, and meet new friends, bring friends in to meet other people, and you’re going to feel that sense of community,” Gonzalez said. “We hope you’ll meet Bobcats that will be your friends for life.” 

et029322@ohio.edu