The Commuter’s Corner: Commuters should utilize these class scheduling tips

For me, scheduling classes is the bane of my existence. The stress and the anticipation sometimes make me feel like I’m going crazy. As a commuter, that stress is doubled as I have so many other factors to consider when building the perfect schedule. 

Throughout my semesters at Ohio University, I’ve experienced a variety of schedules. After experiencing all the different schedules a commuter can be thrown into, I want to share some essential tips for fellow commuters who may be struggling.

Consider commuting and walking time carefully. While this may seem like a no-brainer, it is important. When scheduling for my first semester during my orientation, I didn’t do this and often found myself running to class after parking.

So, make sure you fully lay out your game plan for the day and give yourself enough time. That may mean waking up earlier, but I’d rather do that than sprint to class. Make sure you utilize OU’s parking map so you know where to park to be close to your classes.

Another tip is to try to get classes out of the way earlier in the day. One of my least favorite things about commuting is getting home late. Whenever I scheduled (or got stuck with) late classes I was always so frustrated coming home later than I would have otherwise. 

When I’m able to schedule my classes early, even the dreaded 8:30 a.m. ones, I’m able to get all of my classes out of the way before noon. This not only leaves me with ample studying and homework time, but it also allows me to get back home before the sun goes down.

Sometimes, despite your best efforts, you get stuck with later classes. In that case, make sure you get all your studying and homework done earlier in the day so you can head right home after your class, which is always the best feeling. Waking up early is hard, but it comes with a ton of benefits including improved mental health and improved performance. I’m not a morning person, but despite the struggle, I still wake up early every day. I always feel like I get a better start to my day.

Another challenge for commuters is a large gap between classes. Gaps can be every commuter's nightmare, especially when they are too short to go home and feel like they drag on forever. This semester I have a three-hour gap twice a week. At first, I was dreading it and cursing myself for allowing it into my schedule. However, I quickly realized it was one of the best things I’ve done.

I treat my college time like a 9-to-5. I found that this not only prepares me for the future, as 76% of workers commute daily, but it also allows me to stay completely focused throughout my day. When I have large time gaps, I don’t spend them sitting around on my phone; I use them for studying and homework time. 

When I’m able to get all my homework and studying done within that 9-to-5 timeframe, I’m able to come home with little stress. I don’t have to worry about doing homework on the weekends either. On days when I have nothing to do, which is rare, I go get lunch or shop around. If I still have time left, I normally just find a comfy chair and relax until my next class. Take advantage of those gaps.

Sometimes you can end up with an inconvenient class, as a commuter or an on-campus student. Whether it's super early in the morning or late at night, college students often have to deal with a class that completely inconveniences them. 

It is worse as a commuter because we have to consider driving time on top of that, and if it's super late at night we have to stay on campus for an extra half of the day. 

I’ve had my fair share of inconvenient classes, and it’s easy to be upset about it. However, while semesters can seem long, they are only 15 weeks. Semesters often fly by and you’ll be free from a particular class quicker than you realize. Try not to beat yourself up over an inconvenient class or two, and if nothing else, just remember it will be over in no time.

Haylee Leasure is a sophomore studying journalism. Please note that the opinions expressed in this column do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk about the column? Email Haylee at hl125421@ohio.edu.