Katie’s Crayonbox: Saying goodbye to green and white

When I first moved to Ohio University, it was cold. It was snowing because I could not go “in person” until January, but luckily my mask helped keep my nose and mouth a bit warm. The path to the person I became throughout my four years here seemed farther than the walk up Jeff Hill at the time; I could not even imagine her. Now I sit here so incredibly grateful for every experience I’ve shared, treks up the hills included. 

College began cold and distanced, but it quickly became warm, crowded and lovely. College became watching “Love Island” every Sunday night, cutting our favorite celebrities out of People and sitting on everyone’s desk in the newsroom. It turned into marg towers at El Tenampa, backbends on the Stephen’s dance floor and weekend debriefs at Nelson Dining Hall. It’s shared clothing and secrets, making jokes and Canva invites. 

I have The Post to thank for so much of what college became. Weary of more Zoom calls my freshman year, it was not until I was a sophomore that I joined the organization that would become so much of my life. The world opened up in a way I hadn’t believed it could and I threw myself into everything. I knew what being static felt like and I just wanted to move, and The Post was my first step into what college life could be.

I spent a lot of time feeling robbed of my first year of college, and it’s true that as I leave, I feel I’ve only been here three years. But as unfortunate as online classes from my childhood bedroom felt at the time, I find myself left with only gratitude.

I am grateful I felt limited because it made me try everything as soon as I could. I am grateful for nights spent bored in a small Washington Hall corner room, eating pasta from a green box because it made me appreciate all the nights I’d eat laughing with friends as a gift, not a given. I am grateful for every trip on the bricks, every late night of work and even every tear I cried because it meant I had something to care deeply about.

Most of all, I am grateful it did not take until writing this column to understand how wonderful each opportunity has been. Last October, I ran from The Union’s stage to the newsroom, sweaty and covered in glitter and the rest of my Janet makeup from a “Rocky Horror” dress rehearsal, ready to help proof pages to send to print. I felt so lucky to have the role in the annual “Rocky” performance and so lucky to get to serve as editor-in-chief of an organization that means the world to me. 

Someone asked me how I was doing both, if I was tired. I could never be tired of this. 

So thank you, college, for teaching me how lucky I am for every experience. To anyone entering or continuing their journey at OU who is feeling they aren’t making the most of their experience, my advice is to join everything. Take in deep breaths of the Appalachian air, slightly tinged with the smell of marijuana from your next-door neighbor, and enjoy each day. Do everything and give everything you can because standing at the other end of a long, strange trip, I am so grateful I gave OU my all. 

Two weeks from now I will walk at graduation for the first time in my life, and know how lucky I am to get to do so. A green and white cord – for The Post – will wrap around my shoulders like a hug goodbye and I know whatever happens next, I will be equipped for it because of my time here. 

Thank you. 

Katie Millard is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of  The Post. What are your thoughts? Tell Katie by tweeting her at @katie_millard11.

Katie Millard

Editor-in-Chief