Photo provided by Omar Dissouki.

OU’s Habitat for Humanity creates sustainable, safe homes

Ohio University's Habitat for Humanity is a student-run organization that creates safe living throughout Southeast Ohio by building homes for those in need. 

Habitat for Humanity is an international organization that was founded by Millard and Linda Fuller in 1976. According to Habitat for Humanity, the idea began in Americus, Georgia, when Clarence Jordan and the Fullers “developed the concept of partnership housing” and formed the “Fund for Humanity” after receiving money from fundraising. 

Eventually, the Fullers decided to take this concept to Zaire, now the Democratic Republic of Congo, and from there, they returned to the U.S. and gathered a group of supporters, forming Habitat for Humanity. 

Habitat for Humanity's mission is “seeking to put God’s love into action” by bringing people together to “build homes, communities and hope.” 

Habitat for Humanity at OU practices this mission by building sustainable and affordable housing for families in need while also participating in other volunteer activities, including zero waste initiatives and an annual 5k that is open to the Athens community. 

Omar Dissouki, a senior studying mechanical engineering, is the secretary and social chair of OU’s Habitat for Humanity and said the work can be hard, but the outcome is always worth it. 

“At events, we see people happy, and it is kind of satisfying,” said Dissouki. 

Dissouki said some of his favorite aspects about his position are seeing how the organization has evolved through previous events and fixing what can be improved. 

“I like posting on social media to see how engaged students are,” said Dissouki. “Sometimes you see them reacting to certain posts more than others, so I feel like that also guides you towards more reach.” 

Several members of Habitat for Humanity are also involved in the Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Service. Sam Mcavoy, a senior studying environmental biology, is Habitat for Humanity’s sustainability chair and involved in Voinovich’s Zero Waste Team. She said students in Voinovich advocate for sustainability and there are several ways to get involved.

“We have eight or more different projects going on right now,” said Mcavoy. “Some are for green infrastructures, some are for composting, there is a lot of range within it.” 

Habitat for Humanity is affiliated with programs including the design and construction department, the Office of Sustainability and Voinovich. These programs and departments meet twice a month to discuss what materials Habitat for Humanity can salvage and use for future projects and buildings. Sam Crowl, OU’s director of sustainability, said the partnership allows Habitat for Humanity to thrive. 

“It’s a win-win-win, it gives back to the community,” said Crowl. “It helps Habitat for Humanity and it means it is not going to the landfill and so we love the partnership.” 

Crowl said his wife is the reason for his interest in sustainable construction and Habitat for Humanity, as she has participated in an all-women’s building project. 

The organization currently holds over 100 members, and each meeting is filled with an exciting, inclusive and welcoming energy. Mcavoy said her favorite part about the organization is the people. 

“I think it really is a community,” said Mcavoy. “We are never hesitant to help one another and you can see by everyone who is in the org that they just want to do good work.” 

Mcavoy said the home builds take place each Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. However, because the school year is coming to a close, the organization will be continuing home builds and tree planting in the 2024-2025 Fall Semester. Mcavoy said students are encouraged to sign up even if they do not have prior experience in building.

Apart from Habitat for Humanity, staying sustainable is important to help create a cleaner and safer environment. Crowl said sustainability is all about education and remaining aware of the environment’s needs. 

“You have to learn about things, you have to learn about a better way of doing things,” said Crowl. “A lot of times a better way of doing things is also saving you money and it makes you feel good.” 

gn875322@ohio.edu

@gina_napoli_