Ohio infielder, JR Nelson (34), prepares to bat the ball during a game against Kent State at Bob Wren Stadium, March 16, 2024, in Athens.

Baseball: Everything to know before Ohio takes on Morehead State

Ohio remains in one of its most challenging stretches of the season so far, having lost 12 of its last 15 games. However, the team will enter Tuesday’s matchup against Morehead State following one of its most impressive wins of the season thus far when it upset Bowling Green on the road. 

The Bobcats will be looking to string some wins together before heading into an important series with Toledo this weekend. 

Here is all that you need to know before the game:

Game Information:

Opponent: Morehead State (23-17, 8-7 Ohio Valley Conference)

Time: Tuesday at 6 p.m. 

Follow live stats here

Meet the opponent:

Head Coach: Brady Ward (first season)

Statistical Leaders

Batting Average: Ryley Preece (.383)

RBI: Roman Kuntz (60)

Home Runs: Kuntz (20)

ERA: Luke Helton (.490)

Strikeouts: Helton (61)

Morehead State Notes:

Morehead State has had an up-and-down season so far but enters in a streak of having won four of its last five games. The Eagles feature one of the best offenses in the Ohio Valley Conference, with six hitters having an above .300 batting average. 

Earlier this season, Ohio surrendered 20 runs to Morehead State in a midweek road loss. In that game, Morehead State’s Hunter Thomas had a phenomenal game with three hits and four RBIs. 

Player to Watch - Jackson Cauthron 

Cauthron, Ohio’s go-to catcher of late, has gotten hot at the plate and provided a spark for an offense that has faced some of the Mid-American Conference’s top pitchers recently. Cauthron carries a five-game hitting streak into Tuesday’s game and will be looking to build upon a weekend where he tallied five total RBIs and a home run against Bowling Green. 

@robertkeegan_

bk272121@ohio.edu