Kickin’ with Kyra: Why Olivia Rodrigo has become so popular

Olivia Rodrigo has accumulated a consistently growing fanbase throughout the years she has been releasing music. At just 21 years old, she speaks to girls and people of all ages through pop, rock and alternative tunes. Her songs vary in meaning, some referring to the fears of adulthood and others speaking of heartbreak and betrayal. Rodrigo is taking the music industry by storm as she continues her GUTS World Tour and connects to more individuals.

Rodrigo got her start as a child actress on the television show Bizaardvark. She followed the show by starring in “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series.” After acting, she released her single “drivers license” in January 2021. The song demonstrated her creative skills and heart-melting lyrical abilities. Since then she has taken over the world one heartfelt lyric at a time. 

Her first album, “SOUR,” was released in May 2021 and gave her music career an even larger kickstart. Her SOUR Tour sold out almost immediately, and it was a quick indicator of how her success would grow following the release of an album that embraces the insecurities of being a teen girl and the ups and downs of falling for the wrong person. From the start of her music career, Rodrigo has demonstrated her ability to relate to kids and young adults alike.

Rodrigo’s second album, “GUTS,” came out in September 2023. This one had a bit more edge and demonstrates Rodrigo growing up along with her fanbase. On March 21, she released the deluxe version of her sophomore album, “GUTS (spilled).” This version included five new songs she announced during her show in Chicago on March 19. Rodrigo knows how to tease new songs and keep her fans excited at all times; it is one of the many reasons she is such a beloved artist.

Not unlike the SOUR Tour, Rodrigo’s GUTS World Tour can be seen all over social media. The way she engages with the audience and keeps the energy high, in addition to her outfits and performing techniques, take her shows to another level. Her setlist also consists of almost every song she has released and she goes from running around stage to floating on an elevated moon for her more melancholic songs. Even the audience dresses to impress for her performances, filling each seat with purple and sparkles.

Rodrigo not only empowers through words, but also through her actions. She advocates for women’s reproductive health and launched Fund 4 Good, a nonprofit organization that supports reproductive rights and education. A portion of her ticket proceeds from her tour goes toward the organization. Rodrigo uses her platform to speak on matters she finds important and this is another reason she is such an inspiration and force. 

Rodrigo now has three Grammys and Gen Z under her belt. Her music is special because she is so honest and relatable in her writing. If her career so far is any indication, there is even more success to come for Rodrigo.

Kyra Dapore is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Kyra know by emailing her at kd364521@ohio.edu