Masses of students gather in the courtyard of Palmer Place apartments to celebrate one of the final fests of the season in Athens, Ohio Friday, April 22, 2022.

One Direction to reunite at Palmer Place Fest

After nine years, all five members of famous British boy band One Direction are reuniting to perform at Palmer Place Fest April 19. The five members, Zayn Malik, Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne, Harry Styles and Niall Horan, have not performed together since March 18, 2015.

Last Friday, Paul Higgins, the former manager of One Direction, sat down with The Post in an exclusive and rare interview. 

“The chaps have always admired Ohio University, especially the party culture surrounding Fest Season,” Higgins said. “Performing at Palmer Place Fest only made sense.”

The performance will be from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., according to Higgins. Although the setlist is unknown, Higgins said the band has hinted at playing fan favorites such as “You & I,” “Best Song Ever” and “Night Changes.”

“We are absolutely chuffed to perform for Ohio University students,” Horan said in a released statement. “This reunion has been a long time coming, and we are looking forward to interacting with our fans.”

It seemed like Bobcats were just as excited, with many students expressing their surprise about the news.

“I absolutely cannot believe it,” Brock Lee, a junior studying astrophysics, said. “I literally have loved One Direction all my life and I just cannot believe they are coming to OU.”

Grace Fall is a freshman studying nursing and is also a fellow Directioner.

“I was not planning on going to Fest, but now that I know One Direction will be there, I’m there,” she said enthusiastically. 

Although the general consensus seems to be excitement, others are not joining in on the anticipation. 

“I absolutely hate it because everyone and their mother will be in town,” Pat Icakes, an Athens resident, said. “I  f—ing hate when it’s Fest Season. I have lived here all my life, and without fail, at least one delinquent vomits on my porch. I am sick of it, and this phony boy band will only make it worse.”

Regarding crowd control, Higgins said there is no formal plan in place, although he is in contact with the Athens Police Department.

“All we’re focused on is that everyone has a good time,” he said. “I’m not really concerned about how many people are there. I know everyone is excited, and the boys have promised to deliver an unforgettable performance.”

Another member of the band, Malik, was the first to leave the band, claiming he saw their breakup as inevitable. The inclusion of Malik is perhaps the most shocking part of the performance.

“I have missed these chums, and I felt like the timing felt right,” he said in a statement. “All of us are focused on having a good time and delivering the best show for our fans.”

There is no admission charge for their performance, but attendees are encouraged to arrive early.

“It will be the absolute time of your life, we can assure you that,” Higgins said.

The Post would like to wish everyone a happy April Fools’ Day.

@alyssadanccruz

ac974320@ohio.edu