Artist Spotlight: Silent Mass masters haunting midnight rock

Silent Mass began as the solo project of Ammo Bankoff in Los Angeles before the COVID-19 pandemic. Since then, the band has grown to include audio engineer and guitarist Robert Duncan, drummer and producer Alex Posell and bassist Kevin LoBiondo.

Together, Silent Mass recently released the first lead single off of “The Great Chaos,” its upcoming LP. The record will be released June 21 to coincide with the summer solstice. The group is also set to release another single April 16. 

The sound of Silent Mass is emblematic of artists like The Cranberries, Kate Bush, Chelsea Wolfe, Beach House, Slowdive and Cocteau Twins. Its music combines post-punk, ethereal wave, shoegaze and '90s alternative elements to create their blend of midnight rock. The group has opened for True Widow and recently performed at The New Colossus Festival in New York City. 

Bankoff’s debut single was a cover of "Total Recall" on the charity compilation “Do You Feel That Way Too? A Tribute to Adrian Borland & The Sound.” The album was released in 2020 on Dune Altar, and Big Takeover Magazine characterized Bankoff’s contribution as “melancholic escapist dreamery.” 

"Total Recall" was followed up by two singles in 2021: "Rose + Crown" and "A Cold War City." The former is undeniably haunting from the opening echoes. Purposeful drums keep the song grounded while synth effects, unfettered guitar and slightly dissonant, ethereal vocals send the song soaring. The whole song sounds as if it is shrouded in a mist, furthering the comparison to the delicate Cocteau Twins. The cinematic chorus is elevated by the commitment of each instrument with the eerie vocal track.

"A Cold War City" is equally menacing, but in a more calculated way. The chorus goes in a different direction than its preceding track, leaning into the haunting factor more than the dramatic one. The longer the song goes on, the more intense it gets. Percussive drums, increased background sound effects and a heightened level of eeriness in verses with each melodic repetition add to the intensity.

Silent Mass’ most recently available song is "Land of Heart's Desire," the first track to be released in anticipation of their upcoming debut LP. The song focuses on themes of unfulfilled aspirations and how far the effects of those unrealized passions can reach.

“I wrote the song while reading W.B. Yeats, who was a member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn,” said Bankoff in a provided news release. “Yeats wrote a play entitled ‘The Land of Heart’s Desire’ about unfulfilled aspirations and how they can inadvertently affect those around you. This led me to consider the consequences of avoidant behaviors in my own life and uncover the source of my escapism.”

The single possesses the same apocalyptic energy as the previous two singles. It pays homage to the group’s name by offering a subtle religious energy, matching words like “resurrection” with a powerful sound. Bankoff’s voice possesses the Irish twang of The Cranberries’ Dolores O’Riordan. The track climaxes at the end with a wailing electric guitar solo that matches the song’s energy while adding a new dimension.

The next single to accompany the upcoming LP will be “Nest of Flowers.” The song begins with the haunting sound of wind blowing, creating the imagery of a dark, misty forest. The song furthers the group's mission of creating spooky, ethereal tracks that outdo the one before it. The song’s drumming somehow possesses a fluid and pulsating movement, although it keeps a simple beat.

“‘Nest of Flowers’ came about during a time when I was feeling especially restless and directionless,” Bankoff said in a provided news release. “I felt like I was at a standstill while the world around me was vivacious and energetic. The use of tension and repetition in this song expresses the disorientation of feeling caught in a loop. Much like the moon card from the Tarot, the song illustrates walking a directionless path and the winding journey into the unknown, highlighting the importance of taking some steps forward even if you’re unsure of what’s to come.” 

The music of Silent Mass is not for the faint of heart. It is meant to be heard in a dark room with a cold breeze rustling the curtains covering an open window. Each song is more eerie and dramatic than the last. The lead singles from the group’s upcoming LP signify it as a collection of intense and emotional songs displayed through a lens of hazy, haunting energy. 

@sophiarooks_

sr320421@ohio.edu