As Don Vito Corleone himself once said, “A man who doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man.” So what better way to prove one’s manhood with their old man than getting together to watch The Godfather on the big screen?

That is exactly the opportunity the Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St.,  is offering this Dads Weekend, giving fathers the chance to spend quality time with their son or daughter on Friday night or Saturday afternoon. In this case, families can “leave the gun, take the cannoli” either at Friday at 7 p.m. or Saturday at 3 p.m. Regular ticket pricing applies.

“(The) Godfather has been one of the most significant films (to) imagine the idea of ‘masculinity’ from one generation to another, especially in US, so it could fit into a general theme of Dad's weekend,” said Hsin-ning Chang, head projectionist for the Athena Cinema.

Winner of three Oscars, including Best Picture, the Francis Ford Coppola-helmed franchise starter developed Al Pacino’s career and lead Marlon Brando to his second golden statue. Its values on fatherhood and family felt natural for the themed weekend.

“We just want people to celebrate film and have a good time,” said Alexandra Kamody, managing director of the Athena Cinema. “Going to see a movie with my Dad was always a memorable experience for me and I think it's a great way for family to spend time together.”

If anything, seeing this classic on the big screen is a great way for parents to experience the Athena, a key member of the university and Athens for generations.

“The Athena has such a rich history and we think it offers people an extra special experience to visit uptown Athens, go to a nearly century old theater and watch a classic film,” Kamody said. “It will give OU Dads a chance to experience a little more of Athens.”

Plus, if parents haven’t seen the movie in some time, what better way to see it than the way it was intended: on the big screen.

“Maybe many dads have not seen the film for a long while,” Chang said. “Seeing it in a cinema setting could be a great thing to do for the weekend.”

“It’s a classic film and I think it deserves to be seen on the big screen, in a theater,” Kamody said. “I hope it will appeal to a lot of students and their fathers.”

@thewillofash

wa054010@ohio.edu