Billy Currington’s latest album, which was released June 2, focuses on falling in love and breaking up.

Billy Currington is celebrating the warm sun with his sixth studio album Summer Forever, which is full of songs about summer flings and emotional heartbreak.

The 12-title album is packed to the brim with songs about heartache and wanting to fall in love. While none of them are big hits yet like “Good Directions” or “People Are Crazy,” a few songs on the album could compete for a No. 1 spot on the country charts.

Despite a few mellow tunes and powerful ballads worth listening to, the constant focus of love grows tiring by the 12th song. The lack of variety leaves the listener yearning for something more — even if it’s that typical country song about trucks or fishing.

The album starts with Currington’s current radio hit “Don’t It,” a song crafted in the perfect pop-country melody for country radio. The upbeat tune focuses on meeting a girl and having a good time, whether this means taking shots or hitting the dance floor.

As a listener, the excitement continues with echoes of “hey ya” throughout the entirety of “Drinkin’ Town with a Football Problem.” Currington effortlessly captures the camaraderie of a small town. Whether it is the prom queen or an outcast, they all come together for football to relive the former glory days.

Currington dives into a string of five love songs in a row. While there is a variety in the tempo and rhythm, only two songs stand out of the bunch.

“Jonesin’ ” is a mellow song about needing a girl more than alcohol. Currington’s chill vibe comes from his soft tone as he sings, “One shot of you, it always kicks me into another gear.”

He uses the slang “jonesin’ ” to emphasize his desire for a girl, because being with her creates more buzz than a can of beer. It’s as if the girl is his drug, which is supposed to be romantic for some reason, but comes off as a little creepy.

The powerful “It Don’t Hurt Like It Used To” stands out for it’s raw emotion and lack of creepiness, unlike “Jonesin’.” After having his heart dragged through the Alabama dirt, Currington refuses to lie and pretend to be OK.

The vulnerability deriving from Currington’s confession of breaking down and crying over a girl makes the song even more touching. “It Don’t Hurt Like It Used To” is a pleasant surprise on the album, especially for another love song. It’s also the only song Currington took part in writing for this album.

“Nowhere Town” is up next and gives a much needed relief from love. The song focuses on small town life, such as knowing all the cracks and corners and going a little bit wild.

The song brings something new to the album with the fast-paced verses and steady chorus. The song skips the country-rap aspect that is becoming increasing common with artists and, instead, really captures Currington’s smooth vocals.

Unfortunately, it sounds as if Currington is attempting to rap in “Soundtrack.”

He requests ass-shaking and promises to be the song playing when the girl he is pining for gets her first tattoo and is in the back seat with “you know who.” The song is rather uncomfortable and would’ve been better if omitted from the album.

The title track ends the album on a bad note. The song tries to be sexy as it calls summer “lovemaking weather” and ends with Currington whispering “summertime forever.”

Either Currington is eager to fall in love or still hung up on a girl. Regardless, only a few songs on the album have a fighting chance to be remembered when the summer sunshine fades.

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu