Honeymoon is an album that doesn’t debut a new Lana Del Rey, but broadcasts the Lana that is already known and loved by millions.

Lana Del Rey does a great job of staying relevant and interesting in today’s media and entertainment. She has a sound that never gets old, no matter how repetitive the music. Her crooning, haunted sopranic notes always pull listeners deeper into the music. The act of “good girl in a bad situation” works for her and all of her music, and it keeps working in the sure-to-be-a-hit album, Honeymoon. It's hard to see any major No. 1 hits — such as “Born to Die,” “West Coast,” “Ride” or “Young and Beautiful" — spawning from this album. Del Rey is presenting another dark album with a slight twist that might or might not be a hit. This album is the epitome of Lana Del Rey, more so than any of her previous work.

Her previous album, Ultraviolence, was definitely not her best album. It seems as if nothing can compare to the earlier Lana and the Born To Die and Paradise albums, which spawned multiple hits and also put Lana Del Rey on the map. Sure, Ultraviolence had a few good songs, but it never compared to her earlier work. Del Rey's albums don’t seem to get any better because they don’t seem to evolve or develop with time. They're stagnant. This album is nothing different. Usually with an artist, you see them grow with time, but Del Rey doesn’t seem to be doing much growing.

via buzzfeed.com

In her newest album, Del Rey doesn’t stray too far from the idea of angst, betrayal, bad boys, heartbreaks and loving someone who could never return the feeling back. One thing that does make Lana great is that her talent never gets old, and those beautiful haunted, high pitched vocals always capture listeners. Even if you don’t want to listen to her music, you listen to it because of the sound and the story that all of her music carries. If there are two things that I love about this album and Lana’s musical style, it’s her vocals and that she can tell one hell of a story.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="842d05ac-6550-11e5-9b5d-6b47d25d5e54"}}

The title track and first song “Honeymoon” opens up the album and brings us into Lana’s world of dark and abusive love in which she sings of a man with an abusive and dark past whom she stills love. This song destroys all credibility that has been gained by the idea of a romanticized meeting such as a honeymoon. The next three songs, “Music To Watch Boys To,” “Terrence Loves You” and “God Knows I Tried,” bring on the same angsty meanings just with a few more playful lyrics that still carry the same dark aspect.

My favorite song on the album would have to be “Salvatore,” which is the 10th track on the album where Del Rey shows her bilingual abilities by speaking a little Italian during the chorus of the piece. She pairs the Italian with the feeling of an old, romantic movie in which she sings of being chased after in a loving kind of way. The song plays out like a mysterious, mystical and daunting ballroom dance.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="303797b4-5a51-11e5-ba77-0b5966db81c9"}}

The album ends with “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood,” which brings the entire album full circle and brings to light the meaning of the album. A song in which she covers from Nina Simone, "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood," describes her and just simply states that she doesn’t want to be misunderstood for her actions. Although seeming to be a well-played out ending, it stills leaves loose ends. Throughout the song, it’s pretty clear that Lana’s intentions of love are misunderstood because of her sultry behavior and also her never learning to stay away from those that hurt her.

Final Verdict: Although Lana never seems to evolve, it’s no surprise that this album will be another hit because of Del Rey being the media icon that she is. Honeymoon is a good album with good songs, but maybe, just maybe, it’s time for the Lana we know and love to branch out.

@VonnieBruh_

dw694614@ohio.edu