The house at 31 Coventry Lane sits on 2.86 acres and occupies 4,586 square feet, including a finished basement.

Records show complicated history of OU's presidential housing situation

The Ohio Inspector General has requested presidential records from OU three times, though it's unclear if an investigation is ongoing.

Recently released records have revealed much about Ohio University’s presidential housing situation, from how OU considered relocating its president’s residence as early as four years ago to how much money the university pays for maintenance on the new residence on Coventry Lane.

However, the released records, part of a third request by the Office of the Ohio Inspector General, are incomplete.

The idea of the Inspector General looking into the university’s activity was first suggested by OU faculty in April, according to a previous Post report. That occurred after a verbal agreement between Athens Realtor John Wharton, owner of the Coventry Lane home, and Ohio Athletics officials caused OU to opt out of buying the home.

Stephen Golding, vice president for Finance and Administration, said on April 13 that those involved with finding a new home for OU President Roderick McDavis previously had no knowledge of Wharton’s verbal agreement and “acted in good faith and without any improper intent.”

Yet, more than 50 faculty weren’t convinced and on April 20, called for an independent investigation of OU, whether it be by the Inspector General or the Ohio Ethics Commission.

A week later, the Inspector General requested records from OU related to its presidential housing and relationship with Wharton. It later requested similar, more-expansive sets of records on Aug. 3 and Nov. 13.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a70f4634-c86a-11e5-b079-673ee722f114"}}

It’s still unclear whether the Inspector General’s Office is investigating the university. Though it cited a portion of the Ohio Revised Code about cooperating in investigations in its November request, Deputy Inspector General Carl Enslen said the office’s policy is to neither confirm nor deny the existence of an investigation until an investigation is completed.

However, one OU professor who signed the April 20 letter believes it’s likely the university is being investigated.

One doesn't request records multiple times over a seven month period if one is not conducting an investigation,” Joe McLaughlin, an associate professor of English and chair of Faculty Senate’s Finance and Facilities committee, said.

OU officials declined to comment on the Inspector General’s three records requests.

“The university will not be offering any further comment on this matter until after the Inspector General concludes his review,” OU Spokesman Dan Pittman said in an email.

McLaughlin said the multiple requests for more information suggest the Inspector General’s office is being thorough.

“I’m glad that the Inspector General is taking this case seriously,” McLaughlin said. “As I have said repeatedly, I hope they get to the bottom of this and exonerate the university if it has done nothing wrong or uncover malfeasance if it has occurred.”

Out of the 20 sets of records the Inspector General requested from OU on Nov. 13, the university has made 13 sets public. Those records include communication among administrators and payments related to presidential housing.

Some of the records show the activity of Wharton, who is also a donor to the university.

Wharton’s company, O.U. Real Estate III Inc., has donated nearly $6,000 to the university since Feb. 1, 2015, according to the records.

Notes in the public documents show McDavis and Wharton met to have lunch Feb. 6 and Feb. 25. The first meeting was referenced in the Inspector General’s November request.

Also, emails from and sent to Ryan White, senior associate athletic director for development, indicate Wharton was on a list of “Academic Center prospects” for $25,000. It's unclear if the emails are referring to the proposed Sook Academic Center.

However, the university isn’t releasing all of its records about presidential housing and Wharton’s relationship with the university.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="99d06fc0-c0ae-11e5-a21d-57076de24e7f"}}

Some of the records the university has not made public include:

• Expense reports and other notes regarding a Feb. 6 meeting with Wharton, McDavis and others

• Copies of agendas and minutes of the OU Foundation trustees and executive committee

OU’s Office of Legal Affairs is reviewing the remaining records to determine what should be excluded under public records law, Pam Dailey, OU’s records management senior specialist, said in an email Jan. 21.

What does seem quite clear is that there were multiple contacts between Mr. Wharton, on the one hand, and university officials in Intercollegiate Athletics and the central administration in the first few months of 2015,” McLaughlin said. “One wonders what was discussed at those meetings.”

@alxmeyer

am095013@ohio.edu