People sift through a pack of beer that was run over by a 13 Fest shuttle bus in hopes of finding an uncrushed can in the Palmer Place parking lot on Stimson and East State Street.

14Fest to feature up-and-coming artists, no BYOB

Number Fest implements new policies and brings in 30 artists.

The final fest of Spring Semester is only days away.

14Fest, which will start at 6 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. Saturday, will feature headliners throughout the weekend such as Fetty Wap and The Chainsmokers. Other acts include Lil Dicky, Slander and special guest Niykee Heaton.  

Dominic Petrozzi, the director of festival operations for Prime Social Group, said the party school reputation has made Athens a perfect fit for Number Fest.

“Ohio University's reputation speaks for itself,” Petrozzi said. “Artists enjoy the experience of connecting with old fans and garnering new ones during Number Fest.”

Most of the reasons why students expressed interest in attending Number Fest revolved around the headliners.

“Yeah, I’m a Lil Dicky fan, and I’m excited to see The Chainsmokers,” Brendon Schaumleffel, a freshman studying biology, said.

Although those artists are 14Fest’s main attractions, they are not the only ones performing on the Main Stage.

One emerging act that has made it to the Main Stage this year is the the Columbus-based EDM group Ghost Gardens.

“Both myself and DJ Carma can claim veteran DJ status in Columbus,” Matt “DJ Ginsu” Watkins, the group’s turntablist, said.

The group began in spring 2015, but gained a sizable following that summer by playing at Ohio festivals such as The Werk Out, Color Dance and Farm on Fire.

“We’ve formulated the vibe and concept we want, and we’re stepping back, writing original songs, doing remixes and lots of custom edits for live performances,” Watkins said. “We’ll showcase at least two of our remixes and edits. Keep your eyes out for a Modest Mouse edit.”

Small, or “Prime” stage acts should not be overlooked either. At 13Fest, the Prime Stage was occupied by an up-and-coming rapper named G-Eazy who went on to have a platinum single, “Me, Myself, and I” later that year.

The Prime Stage will also host an aspiring artist and undergraduate from Miami University, Will “Totally Normal” Clarke.

“This is my first time coming to OU,” Clarke, a DJ who is originally from Pittsburgh, said. “It’s not because of the rivalry — I have no beef with OU — I think that music surpasses that rivalry, and I’m confident I can bring some good energy to the show.”   

Like Ghost Gardens, Clarke will be using his time at 14Fest to premiere new material. During both of his Athens performances, Clarke will play unreleased content from a “project.” He assures that attendees will be the first to hear the top-secret project but might not even know it.

“We’re doing a really interesting approach to this whole releasing-music business,” Clarke said. “We’re gonna try and shake things up.”

Petrozzi said there will be changes to 14Fest to increase safety including no provided transportation, no BYOB and a new implementation of camping.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="90925ab0-00ee-11e6-92ef-f72312115f3e"}}

He added that the new infrastructure includes a parking lot capable of holding 2,500 cars. Numerous cab companies are also available to transport festgoers.

Despite the ban on bringing in alcohol, there is an opportunity for people to purchase liquor and beer at The Venue.

Jared Verbic, a sophomore studying education, said the lack of transportation causes a problem with intoxicated students present.

“This school has to capitalize on transportation,” Verbic said. “You don’t want drunk drivers on the road and getting people from point A to B as safely as possible is important.”

Camping is available on a first-come, first-serve basis for $30.

Petrozzi said those changes in camping, the BYOB policy and transportation will increase the quality of Number Fest.

“The 14th edition is the start of something completely new,” he said. “It is an experience for the better and is going to rival the most well attended festivals in the country."

A two-day general admission ticket for Number Fest is $80 and can be purchased online.

@jcooke1996

jc390413@ohio.edu

@broermazing

mb503414@ohio.edu