ABCs of Greek Life: Helpful hints to remember during recruitment

First things first: At Ohio University there are three separate groups within fraternity and sorority life, and all are an integral part of this organization. 

The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) and the Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) are more focused on recruiting people of multicultural backgrounds, but anyone can join. The MGC currently has two organizations the Alpha Psi Lambda, a co-ed Latino organization and Sigma Lambda Gamma a multicultural sorority. There will be information sessions about membership soon to come. You can also check out the website for more information.

The NPHC has six recognized sororities and fraternities. The council consists of historically black letters, but once again anyone can join those organizations. There will be a “Meet the Greeks” event Sept. 26 in the Baker Center Student Lounge.

Then there’s the Interfraternity Council (IFC). The council recruits through a semi-formal structure where the heads of IFC provide information events for potential members. From there individual fraternities will contribute their own sets of events to recruit members. Lastly, the IFC works with each fraternity to distribute bids to new members. For more information check out the IFC website, and even though registration is free, it is required. 

The last organization within sorority and fraternity life is the Women’s PanHellenic Association (WPA). It has a very structured system for recruitment, which begins with registration and a $25 fee (for the T-shirt, pen, name tag and technology fee). On Sept. 9 and 10, each potential member will have the opportunity to visit all 10 houses and members of each sorority.

The first days, Sept. 9 and 10, are focused on meeting members of each sorority and beginning to bond and create friendships. The outfit criterion for this day is the T-shirt given and any pants that feel comfortable. 

The second day is known as Philanthropy Day. It takes place on Sept. 11 and focuses on learning about what charity each sorority helps. It is an important day because so much of the WPA and sorority and fraternity life do involve lending a hand to the community. This would be the day to strut a comfy, casual, but cute outfit. 

On Sept. 16, the potential new members will be touring up to five houses and are taught more about the sisterhood. On Sisterhood Day, it is suggested potential new members wear business casual attire.

After that there is only one event until bids come out. That takes place on Sept. 17, and potential new members will go to only two houses. There they will have one more chance to interact with members and learn more about the bonds. It is the day to dress up. An appropriate outfit would be a semi-formal dress. 

Finally, there's the anxiety of waiting for bids to come out. But I can say it would be an honor to join any sorority or fraternity on campus. So don’t be afraid to come out and learn what it’s really like to join and most importantly have fun and make the most of the experience.

Erin Franczak is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Do you have any questions about rushing a fraternity or sorority? Email her at ef441614@ohio.edu