Ohio University Student Senate President Hannah Clouser and Chief of Staff Landon Lama welcome returning members from last year as well as students interested in joining Student Senate on Wednesday evening in Walter Hall. (AUSTIN JANNING | FOR THE POST)

Student Senate: Senate will discuss campus accessibility at Wednesday's meeting

Wednesday’s Ohio University Student Senate meeting is expected to be discussion-heavy as they will vote on three resolutions and hear two presentations.

Campus accessibility will be a major theme at the meeting.

Senate will hear from Dianne Bouvier, director of the Office of Equity and Accessibility, and Kendall Brown-Clovis, the HR Liaison for the College of Arts and Sciences. Together, they will present a new university-wide document on accessibility and inclusion. Later, senate will vote to form a special committee on campus accessibility.

According to Student Senate President Hannah Clouser and Chief of Staff Landen Lama, all resolutions are expected to pass.

“I don’t think there’s anything too controversial this week,” Clouser said.

Senate will also vote to appoint a senator for the Scripps College of Communication, Connor Attrell, and a Senator At-Large to the University Life Commission, Anthony Barszczewski. Clouser said both of the appointees are fit for their potential positions.

“It is good that we are filling these positions,” she said.

Another expected topic of conversation is planning the framework for the CATS initiative, which was first brought up in a presentation by OU President Roderick McDavis at last week’s meeting. CATS refers to Cultural Awareness Training for Students, a project that McDavis has already approved, allowing senate to plan it as they choose.

“Depending on how the discussion goes, it could be very meaningful,” Lama said. “It’s whatever the senators bring to the table if they want to actively participate.”

Senate will also discuss the upcoming Homecoming weekend, as they have several events planned, including ones for the Student Senate Alumni Society.

“It will be a busy meeting, and I think we’ll continue some important conversations,” Graduate Assistant Jivanto van Hemert said. “But nothing too crazy.”

@anastasianicc

an631715@ohio.edu