Council Member Patrick Mcgee speaks at a city council meeting Monday, August 22, 2016. (CAMILLE FINE | FOR THE POST)

Council members to send a letter to all state representatives opposing the immigration ban

At the Athens City Council meeting last week, Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, read a letter opposing President Donald Trump's immigration ban. Monday night, council members will vote to pass a resolution to send the letter to all state representatives.

Council members agreed last week that opposing the ban was an important step in ensuring protection for all people in Athens.

The local legislators will also vote on various construction projects, including one that would make sidewalk enhancements on West Union Street.

The sidewalk has been closed for two years after a fire burned several properties. The sidewalk is slated to open in the summer, according to a •previous Post report.

The project will cost $160,000, with $115,000 coming from the city’s street fund.

Ideas for the repairs have included adding ornamental plants, bike racks, benches and kiosks at both ends of the block.

Council members will also vote to rezone the property on 110 W. Union St., which is currently split between a residential and business property.

By making the entire street a business zone, business owners will be able to make renovations to their property without violating rules that apply to residential properties.

The owners of the Cat’s Den are hoping the change in code will allow them to expand their property and eventually add a microbrewery.

Council will also finalize plans for street closures in preparation for the International Street Fair, which will take place on April 15 this year, a weekend before Number Fest.

In prior years, the two events fell on the same weekend.

@BrookEndale

be278114@ohio.edu