Council Member Patrick Mcgee speaks at a city council meeting Monday, August 22, 2016. (CAMILLE FINE | FOR THE POST)

City Council: Athens residents debate East State Street project

More than a dozen Athens residents spoke at Monday night's city council meeting on proposed changes to East State Street, which are slated to include a bike lane and a sidewalk along the south side.

Those who spoke at the meeting were divided nearly in half between those who supported the changes and those who opposed. Abe Alassaf, a Republican running for city council, said adding a bike lane would have a negative effect for most residents.

“This project is catering to a minority of bikers and will hinder traffic, it’s a major safety concern,” Alassaf said. “It seems like this city council just imposes their agenda on the rest of us and that they have already made up their mind on the issue.”

Alassaf cited a study that found bikers accounted for 2 percent of traffic accidents but only made up 1 percent of traffic.

Andy Stone, city engineer and director of Public Works, said the reason for the project was to reduce congestion and crashes. The changes would also include an additional turn lane.

“We are trying to support higher volumes as traffic on East State has been increasing over the years and make it safer for everyone,” Stone said.

Stone also said the bike lanes were not the primary goal of the project, but the main goal is to make the road safer for motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians.

Service-Safety Director Paula Horan-Moseley said the city's administration supported the measure. Some council members also voiced support for the initiative.

“I walk East State almost every day, and there are a lot of pedestrians out there,” Council President Chris Knisely said. “I believe that we are working for a safer community for everyone.”

Some residents said they were not properly consulted about the project before the ordinance was drafted.

“Council seems surprised by opposition to this, but they did not communicate with us,” Milena Miller, a resident of East State Street, said.

Many of the residents who opposed the ordinance asked council members to table the bill so city officials and community members could find a better alternative.

Other residents said the initiative was a big step in moving the city towards sustainability and making it more bike-friendly.

“Bikers are safe and actually help keep drivers in check, so this will be good for everyone in the long run,” Eric Cornell, a resident, said. “All research I’ve found shows that it is safe.”

Those in support cautioned against tabling the bill for fears that the project would lose its momentum and never get finished.

Later in the meeting, Paul Logue, Athens city planner, presented the Athens Sustainability Action Plan — a set of recommendations drafted by the Athens Environment and Sustainability Commission based, in part, on workshops in which community members shared their ideas.

The ten key recommendations include reducing water consumption per capita, increasing zero waste initiatives such as curbside composting, supporting local entrepreneurship by purchasing local products and designating a permanent home for the Athens Farmers Market.

The document also includes a list of initiatives citizens felt were important. Those included legalizing marijuana.

Council members will work on drafting an ordinance to implement the recommendations.

The local legislators also plan to draft an ordinance to join a lawsuit against a wireless communication bill passed by the state legislature. The cities are being represented by Ice Miller, a law firm in Indianapolis.

Knisely said the bill is vague but would allow wireless communication companies to put equipment on light poles and traffic lights within the city. Joining the lawsuit would cost the city $6,000, which would be taken from the city law director fund. Council members have until March 21 to pass a measure opting out of the state law.

“It’s a matter of home rule at this point and we will challenge it,” Councilman Jeff Risner, D-2nd Ward, said. 

@brookendale

be278114@ohio.edu