White supremacist propaganda has hit Ohio campuses hard, says Anti-Defamation League

Propaganda efforts by white supremacist groups have surged on college campuses, according to the Anti-Defamation League — and much of the propaganda has been distributed at Ohio colleges. 

Ohio was the sixth hardest-hit state, according to data the ADL released Jan. 29. The organization has recorded 14 incidents of white supremacist propaganda on Ohio campuses since Sept. 1, 2016. The hardest-hit state was Texas with 61 incidents, according to the report.

The ADL has recorded 346 incidents of white supremacist propaganda on college and university campuses since Sept. 1, 2016. The propaganda included fliers, stickers, banners and posters. Propaganda appeared on 216 campuses in 44 states and Washington, D.C.

Identity Evropa was the most active group on campuses, with 158 recorded incidents since September 2016. The organization put up flyers at universities in Ohio and elsewhere with slogans including “our future belongs to us” over black and white photographs of classical sculptures. Identity Evropa avoids traditional white supremacist imagery, but other organizations have used violent imagery such as blood-splattered swastikas.

In September, two swastikas were painted on Ohio University’s campus. The swastikas appeared inside Glidden Hall and on Jefferson Hill the morning before the beginning of Yom Kippur.

OU President Duane Nellis and Vice President for Student Affairs and interim Chief Diversity Officer Jason Pina condemned the graffiti, which facilities crews removed.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu