Carmen Suarez, candidate for vice president of diversity and inclusion, talks at an open forum in the Multicultural Center on Wednesday.

First VP for diversity and inclusion candidate talks accessibility, foreign language support

Ohio University presented its first candidate for the inaugural vice presidency for diversity and inclusion Wednesday. 

Carmen Suarez, special assistant to the president of diversity, equity and inclusion at Portland State University in Oregon, spoke to students and faculty at the Multicultural Center, where she discussed topics ranging from Americans with Disabilities Act accessibility to residency requirements. 

Before joining Portland State in 2015, Suarez spent three years as chief diversity officer and associate vice provost for student affairs at the University of Idaho, where she previously served as the director for human rights, access and inclusion, according to a previous Post report

Earlier in her career, Suarez was a grade-school Spanish instructor, served as the director of the Office of Hispanic Educational Development at the Illinois Institute of Technology and spent several years working with migrant workers. 

She holds three diplomas from Southern Illinois University Carbondale, including a doctoral degree in philosophy.

Wednesday’s open forum was hosted by Vice President for Student Affairs Jason Pina, who also serves as interim chief diversity officer pending the appointment of a vice president for diversity and inclusion. 

When asked about the benefits of OU’s on-campus living stipulation, Suarez supported the requirement. The university requires undergraduate students to live on campus for at least two years, with special exemptions made only for students in Greek life. 

Ally Schatzer, assistant director of assignments and student services, said having that residency requirement boosts graduate rates. 

“Oh, I think that’s great,” Suarez said, adding that the requirement can create new opportunities for student engagement and involvement. 

“And we know that involvement is one critical key,” she said. 

When Pittaya Paladroi-Shane, world languages coordinator for the Center for International Studies, asked about the importance of teaching diverse languages, Suarez recalled the “linguistic deficit” present during her own college days. 

Suarez recommended that faculty, including academic advisors, “really, really try” to encourage students to study foreign languages. 

WellWorks Director Jennifer Bennett, who also co-chairs a university committee on accessibility, asked Suarez about planning for and designing facilities that are accessible to students with disabilities. 

Suarez stressed the importance of having a “cross-section” of students with different types of disabilities participating in university committees on accessibility and touring campus to evaluate the effectiveness of ADA improvements. 

“You don’t do anything without taking them with you,” Suarez said.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu