Diversity is more than skin deep

Who is a minority and what is diversity, and why are neither of these very prevalent on the Ohio University campus?

I am a minority in both Ohio University and the real world: I am a Jew. Coming from a very strong Jewish community back home, it was quite a shock to come to OU three years ago. I went from a high school of about 20 percent Jews to a college campus of less than 3 percent. The current diversity numbers at OU are embarrassing. The university has diversity programs that, are quite frankly, not that effective. President Robert Glidden even admitted that diversity was an area in which he had hoped to be more successful during his presidency. Why have efforts towards diversifying Ohio University been unsuccessful?

The principal problem is that the university identifies diversity as a matter of skin color. For instance, the university only commissions Stacey Brinkley in the office of admissions to recruit Blacks, American Indians and Hispanics. I was unaware that only these three minority groups were important to represent diversity on campus. I am not negating the importance of these three groups, I am simply identifying that there are other groups who are important to diversity at Ohio University.

Even the office of diversity focuses its attention on these three groups. The office doesn't even have statistics on record for other minorities, such as Muslim or Jewish students or other under-represented groups. In the past, the office hasn't even worked closely with Hillel, the Jewish student organization on campus. The office does recognize the Jewish students are an important minority to have on campus, yet it does very little to help with Jewish organizations and keep students on campus. Myself and other members of the Jewish community are currently working with Erek Perry and the office of diversity to hopefully change this in the future.

After 200 years of rich tradition, the diversity life at Ohio University needs to have a drastic facelift. It is very positive that the university recognizes that it needs to work on its diversity and that they are willing to work on it. If you want diversity changed at Ohio University, take an active stand. You could join the diversity task force, meet with university administrators, talk to the office of diversity or even get involved with Boston Tea Party. If you want diversity at Ohio University, get involved and make it happen; the university is more than willing to listen.

-Jessica Segal

Hillel Student Programs Board Member

jessica.segal@ohiou.edu

17 Archives

Letter to the Editor