Women explore traditions of Muslim culture

Anwar Ebrahim, an Arabic teacher from Kuwait, counted 14 different nationalities from several continents before she lost track in the buzzing room of women, some in traditional attire of vibrant colors. They all shared one common thread: Islam.

Muslims and non-Muslims joined together for the monthly Women's Social sponsored by the Muslim Student Association on Friday night at South Pole to unveil the mysteries of Muslim women.

Women of all ages, including many lively children, listened to speakers, danced, played games and ate a variety of international foods.

Men cannot attend at all. Women are having a day off

said Zeenath Sheikh, a graduate student at Ohio University and the coordinator of women's activities for the Muslim Student Association.

Local activist Peggy Gish spoke about the oppression she witnessed during her 11 months in Iraq with the Christian Peacemaker Teams.

Women are afraid to walk down the street without male accompaniment she said. Gish said that violence and oppression toward women in Iraq has increased since the U.S. invasion.

But most of the Muslim women expressed a feeling of acceptance in the Athens community.

In Athens people are so friendly and open-minded

Ebrahim said. After Sept. 11 they were hiding, and the neighbors made them come outside, she said.

A lot of people were protective of the Muslim community

said Kyle McKenzie, Assistant Director of International Student and Faculty Services.

McKenzie said that she knew several non-Muslim women who wore veils to the grocery store after Sept. 11 in order to take the attention off Muslim women.

Most of the women said they wear coverings in public, but for this event they were unveiled.

Mary El-Mereedi, a graduate student at OU, was born Christian but decided to convert to Islam and wear the coverings in public.

While her Muslim husband stressed that she did not have to cover herself, El-Mereedi said that it gives her more freedom.

I have a choice who sees me and who doesn't

she said. If we're beautiful

it's a blessing and the people we love should enjoy it.

Hadell Al-Mutairi, an OU senior from Kuwait, said she came to the school in a short skirt and later decided to wear a scarf as she became closer to Islam.

There's more to me than looks

she said. A guy has to work hard to get me.

The religion of Islam does not allow dating before marriage, said Zarinah Hud, an American-born Muslim and a first-year medical student.

The institution of marriage is taken very seriously

Hud said. There is various ways to meeting people other than dating.

Several of the Muslim students at the event were married with children. McKenzie said she has noticed an increase in the number of married international students in the last 10 years.

More and more of the wives are going to school. The husbands

even with kids

are supportive