Attorney suggests jury selection update

If a student's court case winds up in front of a jury in Athens Municipal Court, it is unlikely that his or her peers will be listening to the case because of the method for selecting jury members for the court.

The current method of jury selection, which uses only the Bureau of Motor Vehicles records of drivers, is not representative as to the ages of the community's citizens, said Patrick McGee, managing attorney for the Center for Student Legal Services. Because many students get or renew their drivers' licenses in their home county, they are not on the BMV rolls.

McGee sent a letter to Municipal Court Judge William Grim on Friday, Jan. 14, asking him to consider updating the current selection process. According to the judge's secretary, the issue is under consideration.

McGee suggested that the court combine the names of both qualified drivers and the registered voters for the county. The Athens County Common Pleas Court currently use those policies and common pleas court Judge Michael Ward said the system is effective. But he said he can't say one way is more or less fair.

As to students being fairly represented, Ward said, everyone brings in a different perspective and life experiences

but he does not believe people hold prejudices against people based on their student status or profession.

McGee said that sometimes his clients settle because the average juror in municipal court is in their 50s. He said he respects jurors tremendously but sometimes they are biased based on their age.

It would cost the court a yearly fee of $170 to access a program that included the necessary information to select a jury poll based on both BMV and county voter registration records, McGee said.

Ward said there are additional costs like mailing notifications, because many students that have registered soon relocate when their college career is complete.

As to getting more students involved, Ohio University students were mixed on their opinions. As long as it was recognized by the university as an excused absence it would be alright

senior Robin Webb said.

Another senior, Lesley Gibbs, said she thought it was important since students make up a large percentage of the city's population.

However, other students felt they were too busy with other priorities. Freshman Sarah Clayman said, I'm so busy with classes and work that I don't have time to do it.

Most cases in municipal court only last a day.

Michael Sostarich, university vice president for student affairs, said he supports the effort to ask the question of student participation. He said he would support the change if the government was in favor.

(It is) one of the hallmarks of our country to participate if called

he said.

In Ward's experience, students are cooperative for the most part and the court is reasonable and wouldn't make students serve during finals week, he said.

Ward said that while no one wants to be here

when he talks to jurors after a case, most everybody is appreciative and sees it as an educational and interesting experience.

17

Archives

Brittany Bauccio