Choreopoem celebrates MLK

Ohio University students gathered last night in Baker Center Ballroom to experience Martin and Me

a spoken-word presentation by James Chapmyn.

Martin and Me is a mix of poetry, music and dramatic presentation featuring three actors' interpretations of events that took place during the Civil Rights Movement as written by Chapmyn. The choreopoem mainly focuses on the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. and the response to his death.

The production began with a short film, which featured an interview with Coretta Scott King, and was followed by two men and one woman walking onto stage dressed in black. During the course of the hour, the actors took turns performing various stories, including the assault of Rosa Parks in her home and three old women's recollection of King's death.

During one skit, Jeffro, an actor, poet and musician from Columbus, included the crowd in his performance by assuming the role of a teacher who asks his pupils what they are willing to die for.

Jeffro followed his questioning by telling a story of an old man who chose to march with King despite his age and failing health. Once the man completed the march, he is rushed to the hospital and onto his deathbed, where he justifies his actions by saying, If you have nothing that you are willing to die for then you have no reason to live. If you have died for a reason then you have truly lived.

After the production, all three actors allotted time for any questions or comments from the audience.

Martin and Me has been in production since 2001 and currently combines the talents of Jeffro, Conia Almond and Ron Jerkins, all from Columbus. The trio was together from 1993 to 1996 and reunited last year. Each actor became affiliated with Chapmyn and have performed in many of his other productions including One Race

One People

One Peace and Young Black Men are Dying and Nobody Seems to Care.

Linda Daniels, director of the Division of Student Affairs, said Chapmyn's pieces have been making appearances at OU since she became director in 1997. She also added that his productions have been instrumental during the week of Martin Luther King Day.

I think a lot of times campuses do not do enough to commemorate Martin Luther King Day

she said. We always try to have some kind of speaker or production that's free to the public which honors King's legacy.

17

Archives

Lindsey Srp