Board discusses floodplain plans

A public hearing to discuss floodplain regulations and a tentative selection of projects to receive grants from the Ohio Department of Development concluded the Athens County Commissioners meeting yesterday.

The commissioners held a follow-up hearing about updates to the floodplain regulations. After this meeting, commissioners can adopt the changes at any time.

I will probably go back up there next Tuesday to ask that they be adopted

said Bob Eichenberg, Athens County planning director. The updates will go into effect 30 days after they are adopted.

The floodplain regulations will have minor changes to better explain technical language and will provide new maps.

We have a lot more definitions which will hopefully better explain to citizens what we are trying to do. Eichenberg said.

An area is considered a floodplain if it has a 1 percent chance of flooding. The regulations deal with the development of floodplains, Eichenberg said.

The commissioners also selected projects to receive the Ohio Department of Development Community Development Block Grant. The grant, for about $154,000, will provide money to moderate to low-income areas in the county to develop or renovate public works, such as building, roads or parks.

Though all projects are still under consideration, commissioners have chosen six preferred areas. One project in the Burr Oak Regional Water District might not be eligible because it serves counties other than Athens. Commissioners have to wait for a letter of eligibility acceptance from the state before a final decision is made, said Jessica Stroh, community development coordinator for the Hocking Athens Perry Community Action Program.

We had a preference but we are not going to award them till next week when we see if one of them is eligible or not

said Lenny Eliason, an Athens County Commissioner.

Tentative grants could be given to the Federal Valley Resource Center, the Glouster Township, Carthage Township, the village of Chauncey and the Sunday Creek Water District.

The final projects will start in early 2006. Before the projects can begin, the state has to review the projects.

17

Archives

Andrea Golby