Car-less campus clears students' minds

Ever since the day I turned 16, I've relished the independent solitude found behind the wheel of my car. But when I moved into the dorms as a freshman, I was forced to leave my car behind and join the thousands of others who have only their two feet as their primary mode of transportation. Coming from an area swallowed in urban sprawl, I had been used to driving anywhere I wanted to go, and I wasn't sure how I would (or if I could) adjust to having to walk everywhere.

Yet I easily let go of the freedom my car had lent me, and discovered there is also a veiled independence in walking to your destination. Athens is neatly designed so that almost everywhere is within walking distance, and with this convenience comes some important and relaxing benefits.

There are about 20 restaurants or bars located in uptown Athens where one can get an alcoholic drink, and they are all within walking distance of most residences. There is no need to drive. There is no need for a designated driver. There is no need to fight over keys or to get hit with a D.U.I. We can just walk through those dire consequences of a long night of drinking to make it home safely. (Well, most of the time. We still have to watch out for those bricks and parking meters.)

Walking gives us time. Sure, it takes longer to walk somewhere than it does to drive, but in steps, I can take a long moment to look around and view the world surrounding me. While sauntering down Union Street, I can watch the seasons change by gazing at the horizon of trees in the distance. Between the brick buildings and the fluffy leaves of trees, I can see the clean blue or the rolling clouds of the sky. I've witnessed breakups, makeups, partings and reunions. I've watched people study, laugh, cry, fight and fall. I've even watched people watch me.

There's time to think when in stride. I often use this time to ponder the silly things I don't have room to think about in my otherwise busy schedule. Like, what was the name of Invader ZIM's sidekick, the one who excitedly declares I love Earth? Or why has the gaucho pants trend seemed to have hit almost every other girl on campus besides me? Are they pants or are they shorts? My mind lounges in these kind of silly musings as I trek across Athens, and I enjoy relaxing in the solitude of my thoughts.

While walking, having music feeding into my ears always makes the journey -and the idea of the destination -more pleasant. The funky beats of The Black Eyed Peas or the soulful croon of Shins' lead singer James Mercer's voice paces my steps and makes the idea of sitting through a two-hour class on a perfectly sunny day more palatable.

I also find that with headphones cupped to my ears it is easier to dodge the handfuls of fliers that are constantly being stuffed into my hands as I pass through college green. Delta Beta Whatta is having what kind of drive? Which band is playing at The Union tomorrow? The skydiving team is going where?

Sorry, I can't hear you. It's in situations like these that I drown in the music to drown out the advertisements I seem to never be able to ever really walk away from.

Music is my companion while walking alone, but I always prefer to have a friend by my side. When I'm hand in hand with my boyfriend, or in stride with a friend, a simple walking tour of our town can give us more time for an interesting conversation. We can share stories, jokes and secrets while enjoying the kind of laid-back, intimate atmosphere a car just can't provide.

Spring Quarter is perfect for a bare walk, a trek without the shield of headphones, cell phones or any other distractive device. It's the perfect time to just walk and enjoy the sights and people around us.

So let's try it, if only for an afternoon. Abandon your car. Leave your headphones at home. Turn off your cell phone. Now that the sunny days of spring seem as if they are here to stay, slip on a pair of flip-flops and start walking. Take the time to really enjoy the small journeys of Athens that are lined with people, animals, events, trees and flowers.

Just take the town in, one step at a time.

-Liza Martin is a senior journalism major. Send her an e-mail at lm258701@ohiou.edu.

17 Archives

Letter to the Editor