Nelsonville council seat still undecided

Nelsonville City Council members failed for the second time to elect a new member to fill the vacancy left by John Reynolds when he resigned April 26.

Council members voted last night on two nominees, Anita Winner and Bob Baughman, but were unable to reach a decision. By law, if the members cannot reach a decision within 30 days, responsibility for the appointment goes to Council President Clinton Stanley.

Stanley said he expects to name a replacement for Reynolds Friday, because Thursday is the 30-day deadline.

Also present at last night's meeting was Dale Minor, coordinator for the Nelsonville Diversion Program. The program is a rehabilitation plan ranging from 10 to 20 weeks and serves as an alternative to jail in some cases tried in the Mayor's Court. Minor said it has been in existence for more than three years, mainly to reduce the number of repeat offenders.

Minor appeared at council to defend the program's usefulness against rumors that it was costing the city money and decreasing revenue that could be made in the court.

He said more than 300 people have been through the program and more than 50 percent have been successful. The city has a less-than-5 percent rate for repeat offenders.

These kids aren't criminals. Diversion gives them an opportunity to get on track

Minor said. It is not about the money. If it is about the money then we need to look at our priorities. These kids are being saved.

Stanley supported the program, saying he personally had seen people's lives affected by the program.

Crime is on the increase here there is no doubt Stanley said. I'd hate to see this ...city if there was no diversion program.

Councilman and finance committee member Bill Wend said he supported the program also, but has an issue with the reduced fines in the Mayor's Court. Offenders who choose the diversion program have lowered court fees.

I am always concerned about the general fund

Wend said. I never mentioned the diversion program not being good. My problem is with the city losing money.

Councilman Gregory Clement said the finance committee was asked to look at all sources of revenue for the general fund, which includes Mayor's Court revenue, for ways to remedy the city's general fund deficit.

17

Archives

Lisa Schwerin