Student conservatives come out

Conservative Week closes today with Coming Out Conservative Day, which allows conservatives who may otherwise refrain to reveal their political affiliation.

Aurelio Carrillo, president of the Ohio University College Republicans, said he encourages conservatives across campus to show their support of the Republican Party by wearing a shirt or other apparel promoting conservative ideas.

There should be no reason that people should be afraid to express their political opinions

he said.

Because OU is traditionally a liberal campus, Carrillo said, conservative students often shy away from vocalizing their opinions.

Last year, Coming Out Conservative Day was not part of Conservative Week. College Republicans decided to bring it back this year because it is a nice way to conclude the week that is also filled with speakers and documentaries, Carrillo said.

At the close of the week students, both conservative and liberal, who attended the events can evaluate their opinions based on what they heard and saw. Those who want to support conservatism can express that on Friday, he said.

Mark Gaffney, vice president of the Ohio University College Democrats, said Conservative Week seems to be more concerned with promoting partisan division than giving students a conversation about conservative philosophy.

In particular, Gaffney cited using the term coming out as blatant mockery of groups on campus, such as the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender groups.

I think it's in very poor taste Gaffney said. (Conservatives) aren't an oppressed minority.

Carrillo said he knows that people might think of coming out as only being associated with homosexuals, but he insists it is not meant in mockery of anyone.

It's just our way of promoting (Coming Out Conservative Day). I don't think there are that many other ways you could say it he said.

Also, Gaffney said Conservative Week is primarily geared toward garnering attention and promoting propaganda. As far as spreading democratic ideals, that is a long-term effort that the College Democrats try to do every day rather than just one week of trying to get attention, he said.

We're not trying to promote one specific thing

Carrillo said. For instance, if all the speakers this week were put together, they may disagree on some issues. I think that takes away from the propaganda aspect of it.

Too often students at Ohio University just hear (the liberal) side of the issue

and that's not fair

Carrillo said. You should hear both. So that is why we promote that.

17

Archives

Anna Maria Georgalis