Everybody's doin' it

In the United States, where even presidents and presidential candidates have admitted past drug use in their college days, it is only now that the previous no-tolerance Federal Bureau of Investigation is considering softening its admissions policy to allow minimal past marijuana use by its applicants. Although some senior FBI officials are crumpling their brows with frustration toward the lax policy, it is time for the FBI to accept changing cultural norms and to acknowledge that the frivolous experimentation of youth should have little merit on serious, qualified applicants in later years.

Although the change would not affect applicants for special agents, who conduct criminal investigations, it would affect applicants for positions such as intelligence analyst, linguist, computer specialist and accountant. The new policy would review the all-around merits and qualifications of the person, rather than just rejecting them on previous marijuana use.

However, the number of experiences with marijuana must not exceed 15 times, none of which can have occurred in the three years prior to application. That will minimize the likelihood of members' continued usage while they are working for the FBI and will allow individuals - many who smoked recreationally as teenagers - to not have their minor past indiscretions held against them.

The more relaxed approach to determining the real threat of applicants' past drug use is already being implemented in other government agencies such as the CIA, the State Department and the White House. If our culture has accepted and allowed presidents to have past records of marijuana use, it seems reasonable for the FBI to ease up when reviewing qualified applicants.

17 Archives

FBI drug policy change worthwhile