Daylong rowing effort raises money for breast cancer research

One Ohio University student finished his Saturday with blisters on his hands, cramps in his legs and 5,000 calories burned — but he says it was all worth it.

Andrew Schrock, a sophomore studying video production and a member of OU’s rowing team, set up a tent with two “Erg” rowing machines on the edge of College Green Saturday and rowed 100 kilometers throughout the course of the day. He raised $352 and will donate it to the Susan G. Komen breast cancer research foundation.

“I’ve always wanted to do an ultra-marathon, which is anything over five hours of rowing on the machine,” Schrock said. “I decided, why not make it into something good? Why not make it for a cause?”

Schrock said he chose the Susan G. Komen foundation because he has friends whose family members were affected by breast cancer, including Joe Gadient, a sophomore studying mechanical engineering at the University of Notre Dame.

“My mom being a part of it is an inspiration,” said Gadient, whose mother survived breast cancer several years ago. “I was surprised and humbled; it’s one of those times you realize what a good friend you have.”

Schrock had a table under the tent with a box for donations and “I Support” posters for passersby to sign. In addition to the $352 he raised, he collected more than 150 signatures.

“It’s important,” said Ellen Fultz, executive director of development, who stopped by the tent with Marc Fultz, an 1981 OU alumnus. “My mother died of breast cancer. Every penny is important.”

Schrock allowed himself a brief break each hour to eat, drink and rest.

Throughout the day, Schrock burned about 5,000 calories, according to the rowing machine’s count. He calculated that the power he produced would be enough to light up a Chicago city block for an hour.

During the first few hours of his day, Schrock was talkative and cheerful, calling out to people who passed and inviting them to donate, sign the posters or try the second rowing machine.

“Was that a moth or a butterfly that just flew through here?” he asked at one point Saturday morning. “Doesn’t matter; it was inspirational.”

However, as the hours passed, the workout began to take a physical toll in the form of exhaustion, severe blisters and debilitating cramps.

“I’m finishing,” Schrock said during one impromptu break to shake off a cramp. “I don’t care how long it takes. I’m finishing."

About 9 hours and 30 minutes after his 10:21 a.m. start, Schrock rowed his 100th kilometer and flopped onto the damp grass, something he said he’d wanted to do all day.

Schrock’s mother, Karen Schrock, and his sister, Kelsey Schrock, joined him for most of the day, and Kelsey rowed the last two kilometers with him.

“I’m tired; I’m sore,” Andrew Schrock said Saturday evening. “I was never going to quit. It hurt, and I just knew I had to push through it. And I did, and now I’m done.”

rm279109@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus