Head Coach Joe Carbone, Ohio Baseball Team

UPDATE: Retiring coach will make 2012 his final season

Editor's Note: This version of the earlier story, "Coach to call it quits after 23 years," was updated with quotes from current and former players at 6:50 p.m.

Despite officially retiring at the end of the 2011 season, Ohio baseball coach Joe Carbone will return for one more year, according to Ohio Athletics.

Carbone, who turned 63 today, filed paperwork May 9 agreeing to an early retirement settlement, according to documents obtained from the university. Upon his July 1 retirement, he will receive $25,000 and will be rehired to a single-season contract.

Assistant athletic director for Media Relations Jason Corriher did not immediately know the details of Carbone's 2012 contract. Currently, the coach makes $74,443 a year.

President Roderick McDavis' chief of staff, Becky Watts, said Carbone's agreement was for retirement instead of a voluntary employment separation.

Freshman Garrett Black said the players were not aware of Carbone's plans when news of his retirement broke. Carbone held a brief team meeting around 5:45 today to explain the situation.

According to Black, Carbone said he decided to stay one more season partly because he promised the incoming freshmen he recruited that he would be their coach.

Black said he and sophomore Seth Streich heard the news at the same time.

"We both just kind of were in awe a little bit," Black said. "We were shocked. We didn't know what to say or think, wondering if it was true or not. Because we felt like coach would have told us this before.

"We're happy that he'll be here another year. We're glad he isn't quitting this year."

Streich said he felt relieved when Carbone told the team he would coach the Bobcats through next season.

"I can't even put into words what coach Carbone has meant to me," Streich said. "Every day I'm learning more from him. Not only as a baseball player but how to grow as an individual."

Carbone, who is Ohio's longest-tenured coach, played four years at Ohio and captained the 1970 team that made it to the College World Series.

With 659 wins, Carbone has won more games than any coach in Ohio's history. He has won two Mid-American Conference titles and has twice been named MAC Coach of the Year.

Carbone has coached 42 players at Ohio who went on to sign professional contracts. He's also coached eight All-Americans, the most recent of which is Robert Maddox III, who was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds last year.

"It's one of those things that you think kind of wouldn't end," Maddox said. "He's been there for so long. He's had a lot of great years. ... He's had a great career and I loved playing for him."

Carbone was not immediately available for comment.

Check back with The Post for continuing coverage in-print and online.

ms229908@ohiou.edu

nm256306@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports