Board of Trustees: Committee meetings encompass cost increases, judiciary violations

Robust” discussions peppered the Ohio University Board of Trustee committee meetings today and covered possible tuition, fee and housing increases, the quarters-to-semesters transition and drug- and alcohol-related judiciary violations.

During the Resources Committee meeting, trustees discussed President Roderick McDavis’ proposed cost increases for OU students, which include a 3.5 percent increase in tuition and fees and a 2.5 percent housing increase, as well as a 1.5 percent tuition and fee increase for OU’s regional campuses.

Administrators said these increases, which were not proposed until each university unit proposed scenarios to deal with a $5.3 million funding loss, would fund strategic investments for the university. These include additional support for learning communities, the Office of Disability Services, technology upgrades and financial aid.

(The trustees) evaluated where (the increases) would put the university in comparison to other institutions in Ohio, and they also looked at Ohio as it compares to other states,” said Becky Watts, McDavis’ chief of staff. “They had a robust discussion about that.”

Ohio’s national tuition ranking has improved slightly, Watts said.

In 2003, Ohio had the second-highest mean for public-school tuition; right now, it has the fifth-highest mean.

There has been some progress there,” Watts said.

Watts added that complete comparisons with other Ohio schools couldn’t yet be made because not all of Ohio’s universities have finalized dining and housing increases.

The OU increases would bring Athens-campus tuition to $9,871 next year and would increase the cost of a standard double to $5,458.

The branch campus tuition and fee increase would cost students anywhere from $65.93 to $75.51 more each year.

At the Academics Committee meeting, the dean of each college presented a point of pride. These included a presentation from Randy Leite, dean of the College of Health Sciences and Professions, about the “exponential growth of the nursing program,” Watts said.

The committee also discussed updates to the quarters-to-semesters transition, which will result in OU’s switching to a semester-based year in 2012-13.

Essentially, everything is on time and on schedule,” Watts said. “Everything looks great.”

Vice President of Student Affairs Kent Smith also fielded questions during his presentation about the past academic year’s judiciary violations.

During the 2010-11 academic year, there were more alcohol- and drug-related violations by OU students than in previous years.

According to national statistics, Ohio has a high percentage of high school students who report they use alcohol, Watts said. She added that since many of those enrolling at OU and other Ohio schools are in-state students, it follows that Ohio universities are above the national average for alcohol usage among its students.

In his presentation, Smith said he believes that although OU is making some progress with combating alcohol and drug usage among its students, the university still has work to do.

At the Governance Committee meeting, trustees set dates for their upcoming meetings and planned a retreat for Sept. 2.

The trustees will vote on all resolutions during their full board meeting tomorrow at 10 a.m.

Continue to check The Post for coverage of today's Audit Committee meeting and of tomorrow's full board meeting.

rm279109@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus