Ohio universities to offer option to finish in 3 years

By this time next year, students entering public universities in Ohio will have the opportunity to receive select bachelor’s degrees in three years.

This statewide requirement, which was signed as a provision to Gov. John Kasich’s budget bill this summer, will provide students at public universities in Ohio the opportunity to cut a year off their degree.

“This provision is a way for students to achieve their degree by accelerating their education,” said Kim Norris, an Ohio Board of Regents spokeswoman.

Norris added that students will ultimately benefit from the program.

“With these changes, the state hopes that students will be able to save money and time,” Norris said. “It would allow for a faster dual-major process. That extra year could allow students to take on an internship, study abroad and become involved in the workforce in a timelier manner.”

Under this provision, universities are required to implement the three-year bachelor’s plan for 10 percent of their programs by October 2012 and for 60 percent of their programs by June 2014.

Ohio University is waiting for more information from the state to begin planning the particulars, Ann Fidler, chief of staff to OU Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit said.

“We need to know exactly what they consider a three-year degree,” Fidler said

Although OU is waiting for information from the state to formally implement this program, some students already are planning on finishing their degrees in three years.

“You can get a three-year degree at any public university if you work correctly,” Fidler said. “You have to plan your curriculum pretty carefully, but there are students at OU already on that path.”

Students obtaining a three-year bachelor’s degree might need to complete work during the summer or attend shorter classes. Bachelor’s degrees might also require fewer credits.

With these changes, the university needs to be mindful of maintaining the quality of students’ educations, Fidler said.

“I think that, if we were to engage in the provisions of this three-year program, we would definitely come up with a great program for our students,” Fidler said.

Members of OU’s faculty said they see the value of a three-year degree.

Hugh Sherman, dean of the College of Business, said he graduated with his undergraduate degree in economics and political science in three years at a university that offered a tri-semester calendar for a reason.

“I knew I wanted an MBA degree so I could start my professional career,” Sherman said.

OU President Roderick McDavis released an email in response to the budget bill and the subsequent new programs.

“We will continue to develop innovative ways to advance as we meet our opportunities and our challenges,” McDavis said. “Ohio University has a strong history of exploring new territory, emboldening us with a shared confidence that our excellent teaching, service, research and creative activity will continue to afford our students the best transformative learning community in America.”

The change in OU’s education plan comes on the tail switching the university from a quarters-based system to a semesters schedule, and some faculty members were concerned about the coinciding changes.

"We have spent all last year figuring out how to change our curriculum to semesters,” said Marsha Dutton, chairwoman of the English department. “If we now have to figure out how to get it down to a three-year program, it will be difficult to do.”

sj950610@ohiou.edu