Health insurance on the table

Ohio universities have united for student insurance — but not necessarily for UnitedHealthcare.

Ohio University’s contract with UnitedHealthcare, which has provided health insurance for OU students for five years, expires at the end of this school year.

The university is collaborating with OU student senates and other universities in the hopes of providing greater coverage and lower costs.

This year, Ohio’s Inter-University Council — a coalition of universities from throughout the state — has formed a committee to address health-insurance changes at several Ohio universities. The committee will choose one provider in the hopes that, if multiple universities use that provider, students can receive lower premiums.

However, OU won’t be obligated to choose that provider, said Kent Smith, OU’s vice president for Student Affairs and a representative on the committee.

“If we don’t feel if it’s advantageous for us, we don’t have to go with this,” Smith said. “That’s the beauty of it. We do have an opt-out piece to this. If it’s better for students to do so, we’re not obligated.”

“We have a solid (plan) already, but if you can enhance it … we’re never going to rest and say, ‘It’s perfect.’ ”

OU’s health insurance costs $1,287 a year, and students have the option to waive it at the beginning of each quarter. OU’s policy covers 80 percent of most inpatient and outpatient hospital charges at a preferred allowance. It offers a $20 deductible per prescription with a $500 max per policy year.

By comparison, students at Miami University have the opportunity to choose between two plans, allowing them to pick how much coverage they want. Miami offers two programs through The Maksin Group. The basic plan costs $862 a year, and the comprehensive plan is $1,233 a year.

About 4,000 students — roughly 20 percent of the student body — are insured under OU’s policy, OU Dean of Students Ryan Lombardi said.

Before students have to decide whether to opt out of next year’s insurance, they have an opportunity to request what the policy will cover, he said.

“We are very open for feedback,” Lombardi said. “We can get students whatever they want. (Students) need to realize, though, if they want more, it will cost more.”

OU’s Student Senate will seek student feedback regarding health insurance during Winter Quarter. Senate is considering suggesting a tiered system that would allow students to pay varying amounts based on what type of coverage they want.

Graduate Student Senate has an ad-hoc health care committee to make recommendations regarding next year’s policy. The committee is proposing prescription affordability, hormones for transgendered students, increased vision coverage and extended coverage of psychiatric medicines. GSS is also suggesting OU’s new student health insurance plan provide coverage for the treatment and prevention of sexually transmitted infections.

The Inter-University Council does not have a committee specifically addressing faculty and staff insurance. However, OU officials collaborated with the council’s Human Resources Committee to obtain disability benefits and life insurance, said Greg Fialko, OU’s director of benefits, in an email.

“I would hope we would participate in any group purchase of insurance that is in the best interest of the university and its faculty and staff,” Fialko said.

sj950610@ohiou.edu