University of Arkansas to honor McDavis's work on diversity

Ohio University President Roderick McDavis can now add another black-tie event to his schedule after recently being named one of four recipients of the University of Arkansas’s Silas Hunt Legacy Award.

The award recognizes individuals who have contributed in expanding Arkansas’s diversity, said Charles Robinson, chair of the award selection committee and vice provost for diversity at the University of Arkansas.

It is named after Silas Hunt, who was the first African American to attend a major Southern public university, according to the University of Arkansas’ website.

McDavis was the first black dean of an Arkansas college. He played an instrumental role in establishing programs that supported the recruitment and retention of students and faculty as the dean of the College of Education at the University of Arkansas, Robinson said.

“It is an honor for me to receive this award, which lifts up the importance of embracing diversity in all its forms,” McDavis said in a news release. “I applaud the University of Arkansas for its work to continue to lift up diversity and further its progress at the university and beyond.”

Becky Watts, McDavis’ chief of staff, said the award is an indication of McDavis’ efforts toward diversity.

“It lifts up his commitment to diversity and to be recognized for his work reinforces his message at OU more strongly that he is clear and committed,” she said.

McDavis, as well as this year’s other three recipients, will be invited back to visit the campus and speak with students before an award ceremony in April.

“The idea is to have an opportunity for students on campus to have either a panel discussion or lecture with the recipient,“ said Laura Jacobs, director of strategic communication at the University of Arkansas.

A committee of faculty, staff and students chooses the award recipients. The committee receives nominations and identifies each person’s significance and role in expanding Arkansas’ university, she said.

“They embodied the idea of being a trailblazer,” she said.

The award has not been awarded every year due to the cost of organizing the events, Jacobs said. This year’s group of recipients is the third since 2006, the award’s inaugural year.

“It became a matter of catching up with all the people instrumental in expanding diversity on this campus,” Robinson said.

Christopher C. Mercer Jr., regarded as one of the “Six Pioneers” — the first six students to be integrated at the University of Arkansas, and one of two who are still alive — is one of the four recipients this year.

“It’s always an honor to receive praise and significance for something given worthy of emulating,” Mercer said.

Mercer, who knew Hunt personally, entered law school at the University of Arkansas in 1949, a year after Hunt was the first African American to enter the school. Mercer said he is proud of the idea behind the award.

“Although it’s named after (Hunt), it’s the movement of that time that is really being honored, and I appreciate it,” Mercer said.

The award ceremony will be held in Little Rock, the capital city of Arkansas, to allow more guests, Robinson said.

“We are looking forward to welcoming Dr. McDavis back to the Arkansas campus and honoring him with this much-deserved award,” Jacobs said.

af234909@ohiou.edu