Hydraulic fracturing continues to see local resistance

Fracking drills deep at the hearts of many Athens County residents, and now several start-up groups are bent on making sure the practice never breaks ground in the county.

During much of 2011, multiple energy companies offered Athens County residents the option to lease their land for hydraulic fracturing, or fracking.

But some residents are raising concerns about the potential social, health and economic risks associated with the drilling method.

Two groups recently rolled into the county to challenge fracking’s arrival: No Frack Southeast Ohio, which believes fracking in the area would harm the region, and Slow Down Fracking, which provides residents with information about fracking.

“Right now our community, our public land, our fresh water and our clean air is totally under attack by the (natural gas) industry,” said Rachel Hyden, a leading member of No Frack Southeast Ohio. “The least I can do is publicly stand up and say no to what's happening.”

No Frack Southeast Ohio is part of a state-wide group called No Frack Ohio, which is working to create a statewide moratorium for deep shale drilling, ending federal exemptions for drilling and protecting the natural water supply, Hyden said.

Slow Down Fracking is an independent group formed by local citizens.

“Even with better regulation, I doubt this form of drilling could be done safely,” Hyden said. “Over 7,500 gallons of chemicals are injected per fracking well, so even if these chemicals are disclosed with the passing of the FRAC Act, how could we ever consider that safe?”

Many others feel the same way.

“We are working on many fronts to educate our community on the dangers of deep shale drilling and horizontal hydraulic fracturing,” said Heather Cantino, board chairwoman of the Buckeye Forest Council. “We will continue to push for city and county support of a moratorium and other protective actions and we will continue to advocate for the Wayne maintaining its current protection of its land from leasing.”

Both groups have substantial online operations and members from each also organized lease signing protest at the Athens County Fairgrounds Dec. 6.

Members will gather at the Athens Community Center Jan. 8 at noon for the Regional Fracking Networking Session, to educate the community about fracking.

“Education of the land owners within the county … is very important, and a unified voice from our county will be needed, including how to make sure our infrastructure is not damaged by the oil and gas activity,” Athens Mayor Paul Wiehl said.

He added that Athens City Council should consider a moratorium on fracking, but the state is responsible for the majority of natural gas regulation, making it difficult for the city to make a difference.

“I believe we need to investigate what measures we can use to protect our water and environment in general,” he said.“… We need clear data on the negative/positive impacts, a mechanism of who is responsible for any negative effects and the metrics of the benefits of this industry.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu