City Council: Supporters of water flouridation speak up

Although water fluoridation was once again a topic at Athens City Council, the silent camp of fluoride supporters finally voiced their opinion at last night’s committee meeting.

James Gaskell, Athens City County Health Department’s health commissioner, cited scientific studies showing that fluoride is beneficial and that the intake of the chemical is necessary to Athens residents.

“There is compelling evidence that appropriate levels of fluoride prevents tooth decay,” Gaskell said. “It is recommended by the (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), World Health Organization … there are no downsides other than fluorosis, a mild whitening of the teeth if fluoride levels are a little high.”

There are no proven birth defects or diseases related to fluoride but plenty of proof of dental protection, Gaskell added.  

Councilman Elahu Gosney, D-at Large, voiced his disagreement to the idea of the state requiring Athens to add fluoride to its drinking water.

“I’m not an attorney, but when we were told it’s an absolute requirement by state law, personally, I disagree with that,” Gosney said. “In 1969, there was a chance to reject fluoridation, and Athens did that, along with 30 other communities.”

In 1973, the state took out the language that said Athens did not want fluoride in the water, which Gosney said shouldn’t have happened.

“I don’t see the legal case for this to be a one-way door,” he said.

Gosney cited Robert Isaacson, a distinguished professor of psychology at Binghamton University, as a source for the harmful effects of fluoride.

Isaacson was on the 2003 National Research Council’s Committee formed to evaluate the EPA standard for fluoride in drinking water. He found that dental and bone problems can occur with higher levels of fluoride in the water.

Abe Alassaf, an Ohio University senior studying history, returned to the city building to again point to what he feels are the dangers of fluoride intake.

“Mother’s breast milk has naturally occurring fluoride, but the intake of more from drinking water drastically increases that amount,” Alassaf said. “Babies’ brains are being exposed to 500 times the recommended amount of fluoride.”

Jackie Wolf, an OU professor of social medicine, said the addition of fluoride has been an important step in the medical world.

“There are many areas with naturally occurring fluoride in drinking water, and those people naturally had less tooth decay,” Wolf said. “Most Americans can now expect to retain their teeth for their lifetime."

io312410@ohiou.edu