Teachers adapt as iTunes U offerings expand to include more than textbooks

One day soon, students might be firing up their iPads in class rather than thumbing through textbooks.

Apple recently launched a revamped version of its iTunes U platform, which seeks to speed along the adoption of e-textbooks and change the online interaction between student and teacher.

iTunes U offers about 100 full online courses, which include free PDF documents, videos, presentations and interactive syllabi in the iTunes U library. It also introduced a new program called iBooks Author, which instructors can use to build and share their own iBooks with students. 

“I think that (iTunes U is) a good thing,” said Don Flournoy, professor of telecommunications in Ohio University’s School of Media Arts and Studies. “It’s a very small innovation, because everything is changing at once in the world of teaching and learning.”

Flournoy said he was enthusiastic about the changes iTunes U is presenting, especially on the e-textbook front.

“We need a different approach to textbooks,” he said. “They take too long to produce, and by the time they’re published, they’re out of date. Almost all textbooks are way too expensive. In the age of new media, we can update our textbooks much more often and much more inexpensively.”

Micah Spencer, a senior studying philosophy and pre-theology, also said she sees the benefit to e-textbooks.

“I think it will definitely offer more flexibility and more tools to use, which is always a plus,” she said. “I would definitely use it for class. It’s more portable, easier to carry around. In financial terms, e-textbooks are often cheaper than paper versions. You can have an infinite number of textbooks with you, rather than having to lug around 15 paper textbooks. Also, some of the electronic versions have interactive portals in them, and I’ve found that helpful because you have a variety of ways to learn the information.”

Other students are not as confident about the recent technology developments.

“I would not use this, because I am still for print textbooks,” said Linsi McCall, a junior studying commercial photography. “I understand the push for the new platforms, but for me, buying textbooks in print is still cheaper than the e-books.

I think that (iTunes U) will make it easier and lighter for students than having to bring textbooks to class, but it may also provide the problem of students then messing around on the tablets while in class as they do on laptops.”

Flournoy said he addresses in-class iPod and laptop use in his syllabi.

“There’s been an issue around campus about whether students should be able to bring portable media to class,” he said. “About a year (or) year-and-a-half ago, I included in my syllabus that in-class use of laptops is not only allowed, but encouraged. This frees students up to be fully engaged. It’s not a distraction; it’s a contribution.

“Students are going to use social media. It’s who they are; it’s the clothes they wear. I’m not going to judge that in any way.”

Another question that has been raised about the new technology is about how it will affect student-teacher interaction. 

Spencer said that because the e-textbooks are so interactive in nature, instructors might find that they’ll have to amplify their teaching methods to keep their students’ attention.

Flournoy said he sees it as an opportunity for both teachers and students to experience new avenues of learning.

“The thing I enjoy is that I’m learning right along with my students,” he said. “It creates a richer, more timely experience. Students can be engaged as the instructors are. If instructors and students can use the emerging technology, that’s what we should embrace to the extent that we can afford it.”

jf392708@ohiou.edu