Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine professor John Kopchick has been selected to receive the Ohio Patent Impact Award for contributions to the development of a drug that treats acromegaly, a growth hormone disorder related to gigantism. The award is given to inventors with patents that have impacted the state of Ohio through positive economic and social changes. (BRIEN VINCENT | Staff Photographer)

Professor wins Patent accolade

An Ohio University professor has become one of two Ohio scientists to win this year’s Ohio Patent Impact Award for his contributions to the development of a drug that treats acromegaly, a growth hormone disorder related to gigantism.

John Kopchick, the Goll-Ohio Professor of Molecular Biology in the Department of Biomedical Sciences in the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine and the Edison Biotechnology Institute was chosen for the accolade by the Ohio Academy of Science and the Ohio State Bar Association.

“I was surprised when I found out from the Ohio Academy of Science that I was selected to receive the award,” Kopchick said. “It is very humbling.”

Kopchick, 61, was presented with the award on Saturday at an Ashland University ceremony.

The impact award is given to inventors with patents that have impacted the state of Ohio through positive economic and social changes.

Kopchick was working for Sensus, an infrastructure company, in the 1990s when he discovered a compound called the growth hormone receptor antagonist. His team placed a patent on their findings, and the drug was eventually marketed as Somavert, netting them and OU $52 million in drug license transactions.

“We discovered this molecule that can inhibit growth and help people,” Kopchick said. “We created a drug that can treat patients who have too much growth hormone.”

About 40,000 individuals are diagnosed with acromegaly worldwide. The condition is marked by excessive levels of growth hormone and if untreated, can lead to premature death.

“I do my work and research because I want to help these people,” he said.

Darlene Berryman, an associate professor of nutrition at OU who has been mentored by Kopchick, said his guidance inspired her to want to create a difference globally.

“John is very deserving of the award, he has a very special ability, he takes basic science and translates it to treat clinical conditions,” Berryman said. “His work has changed the science world.”

The growth hormone receptor antagonist has potential application in some forms of cancer, such as prostate and breast cancer, according to Kopchick.

“I will have a continuance of research on the particular compound,” he said. “You don’t just discover something then stop.”

bc822010@ohiou.edu