Dave Rave is one of the many local artists and musicians who can be heard in venues around Athens. (Greg Roberts | File Photo)

Athens music scene offers wide variety of shows, spans every type of musician, fan

There is an extensive and thriving music scene here in Athens, but in order to take complete advantage of it, you have to know where to go to find it.

Five venues tend to have live music every weekend and have patrons lining up outside to get in — Smiling Skull Saloon, 108 W. Union St.; The Union, 18 W. Union St.; Jackie O’s Pub and Brewery, 24 W. Union St.; Donkey Coffee and Espresso, 17 ½ W. Washington St.; and Casa Nueva, 4 W. State St.

The Smiling Skull — often fondly referred to as “The Skull” — tends to have a lot of metal and hardcore acts come through its doors. And if you're looking for a place to show off your rock band, The Skull also offers an open mic night where you can really let loose.

When it comes to hitting every base, The Union covers all genres. Everyone is at the local bar, from popular dance party Dave Rave to hip-hop funk group Sassafraz and more.

Metal is also a strong presence at The Union. Skeletonwitch, a metal band that has since gone on to have a national career, got its start at The Union and now tours internationally.

Just down the street is Jackie O’s, where you can find great music every weekend with local acts and other artists from across the state. It too has no specific genre; however, dance and electronic DJs rarely come to Jackie O’s.

In terms of being booked at one of these venues, Jackie O’s tends to be one of the hardest to garner. But Victor Rasgaitis, lead singer of local band The Ridges, said it’s important to get to know the management when you can.

“June Bug hosts the open mic night and does the booking at Jackie O’s,” he said. “So if you go play an open mic there, you can pretty much treat that as a kind of audition.”

The same can be said of Donkey Coffee; the booking agent, Troy Gregorino, runs the open mic night. Donkey has one of the best open stages in town and has a larger audience than most other stages during the week, Rasgaitis added.

Many folk groups come through Donkey to show off their Appalachian-style music and melodic harmonies in a setting that is intimate. However, the larger audience can be intimidating, so many flock to The Front Room for their first performance.

“It’s a good way to socialize,” said Bruce Dalzell, organizer of The Front Room’s open stage. “And it’s not just music; we get poetry and stand-up comedy as well.”

Casa Nueva also has an open mic night that is more open to walk-in performances. This Mexican restaurant and bar can really spice up the nightlife in Athens with a variety of genres and styles such as indie rock groups, metal bands and electronic dance music.

Dance nights at Casa also attract many in the LGBT community with drag dress nights and other events throughout the year.

“There are so many good musicians and bands that want to make music for you,” Rasgaitis said. “Go see live music, it’s one of the best thing you can do with your time.”

wh092010@ohiou.edu