Senior Arthur Green (left) and Senior Donald Lindsay (right) of Alpha Phi Alpha, Inc. lead last year’s Silent Martin Luther King Jr. March of faculty, students and Athens residents from Galbreath Chapel to Baker Center. This year’s MLK memorial celebrations will also include a march as well as a brunch to be held Monday morning. (Dustin Lennert | Picture Editor)

MLK Day events to include motivational speaker, art display

The memory of Martin Luther King Jr. will stay strong in Athens as celebrations will not only span throughout the holiday weekend, but will extend into the coming week as well.

This year’s theme, “Media Motivated Movements: King’s Beloved Community 2.0,” will examine the changing role of media from Dr. King’s time to the political movements of today.

“We’re discussing in this day or age if you started a movement or a revolution, how you would use social media to manipulate or work with the media,” said George Mauzy, co-chair of the MLK Day events committee. 

The celebrations will begin Saturday with a day of service when 90 students are signed up to participate in four community projects in

Athens County.

“It’s goes back to Dr. King’s quote about community service — that everyone is able to serve and can be a part of it,” said Patricia Riley, a graduate assistant with the Campus Involvement Center.

On Monday, Alpha Phi Alpha will present its 13th annual MLK Jr. Silent March and brunch, which will feature motivational speaker Basheer Jones.

Jones attended the Martin Luther King Jr. High School in Cleveland before continuing his education at Morehouse College in Atlanta, Martin Luther King Junior’s Alma Mater. Later, he became a motivational speaker for youth and was the youngest recorded radio host at age 23 on Radio-One in Cleveland.

“A student, Brandon Chestnut, met Basheer Jones growing up in Cleveland … He was really impressed with him and it was his dream to bring (Jones) to Ohio University,” Mauzy said. “(The speech) will be uplifting and he’ll be able to talk about Dr. King’s messages.”

On Tuesday, the university will host a “Speak Out” panel during which students and community members can discuss topics including diversity, race and social movements.

Following the panel, “Creative Arts as Activism” will feature nine to 13 student performers who will showcase their talents along with a display of four works of art.

“Some people are very into social media and protesting, but some people express their desire to support a cause through creative means, whether that be a poem or singing,” said Kellea Tibbs, a member of the university’s planning

committee. 

eb104010@ohiou.edu